Office of the President Records (J. Richard Chase)
Scope and Contents
The records document the presidency of J. Richard Chase, sixth president of Wheaton College.
- Created: 1953-2018
- Other: Majority of material found in 1982-1992
- Chase, J. Richard, 1930-2010. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Documents in this record group are closed 25 years from the date of their creation. Permission to view confidential portions of a file may be granted upon request and approval.
Minutes of executive committee sessions or Faculty Personnel Committee are closed for 15 years after the creation of the record. Personnel-related files are closed until 25 years after the death of the subject. Trustee records are closed until 50 years after the date of the creation of the record. Permission to view confidential portions of a file may be granted upon request and approval.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted. Quotation from archival records requires permission of Wheaton College.
Biographical or Historical Information
J. Richard Chase (Ph.D., Cornell University) came to Wheaton College in 1982 after serving twelve years as president of Biola. He came as the most experienced of all of Wheaton’s presidents and reinforced Wheaton's commitment to its biblical foundations. Chase oversaw a period of significant growth relating to endowment, buildings, and academic programs and successfully shepherding the College through a period of cultural change and economic turbulence. He continually endeavored to attract to the College gifted students who could profit from its rigorous academic objectives and religious underpinnings, and he dedicated much of his eleven-year term to furnishing and providing funding for the administrative structures and procedures that would make the achievement of that goal possible. The College, higher education in general, and numerous national, state, and local organizations benefited from Chase's visionary leadership.
Language of Materials
The records of J. Richard Chase's presidency are inventoried utilizing the filenaming conventions created within his office structure and are transcribed within this record group as provided upon transfer to the archive.
Physical Access Requirements
Archival records must be utilized in the Manuscripts Reading Room.
Source of Acquisition
- Abortion -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Administrative Records.
- American Association of Bible Colleges.
- American Association of Presidents of Independent Colleges and Universities.
- Annual Reports
- Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women.
- Billy Graham Center.
- Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
- Bundy, Edgar C.
- Christian College Consortium (U.S.)
- College Church in Wheaton (Ill.)
- Daystar University College.
- Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities.
- Financial Records
- Illinois. Board of Higher Education.
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (U.S.)
- Saga Corporation.
- West Suburban Hospital (Oak Park, Ill.)
- West Suburban School of Nursing
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Faculty -- Correspondence.
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Army ROTC.
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Board of Trustees
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Graduate School
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Scholastic Honor Society
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Senior Administrative Cabinet
- World Evangelical Fellowship.
- Office of the President Records (J. Richard Chase)
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script