Malcolm Muggeridge Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection of papers traces the pilgrimage of this individual from his roots in socialism through his long search for meaning in life, until he finally embraced Christianity. Throughout his life he took a strong stand on various issues of ethics in government, sanctity of life and moral conduct. He prophesied concerning the woes due a civilization that would not take heed to the decay he described.
The collection includes correspondence, manuscripts by Malcolm, over 940 photographs, scripts and media presentations, published works, memorabilia and a large section of secondary material about Malcolm and the causes he championed.
The correspondence he received is the largest part of the collection, about 47 linear feet. Nearly 1/3 of this (15 linear feet) is classified as Business and Personal, much of it arranged alphabetically by name or topic by Malcolm himself. A dual classification runs through his Business and Personal correspondence, the first section for each letter of the alphabet listing folders that contain several pieces of correspondence all from one source, the second section grouping correspondence of only one or two pieces from each correspondent.
Both lists may need to be consulted to locate a specific correspondent. The largest part of his correspondence (32 linear feet) is from people he briefly met or did not know at all, who just wrote to express thanks for his work or less often to disagree with his position on some topic. This General and Fan correspondence is arranged chronologically from 1935 to 1990.
Since Malcolm often did not keep copies of his letters, his Correspondence Sent occupies only a few inches.
The various manuscript sections of the collection include drafts of books, articles, poems, scripts and speeches. Some of these were never published. The manuscripts are in holograph form, typed or galley proofs.
Muggeridge's published items include books, articles, interviews, scripts and book reviews.
An extensive secondary section includes clippings about Malcolm and his work, clippings about topics that interested him, and manuscripts others wrote and sent for him to critique.
There are several linear inches of material concerning Russia, including both Malcolm's writings and his collection of research material. Several more inches contain a section of material about Mother Teresa and her work among the poor.
Memorabilia includes awards and honors given to Malcolm.
- Created: 1920-2017
- Other: Date acquired: 1985
- Muggeridge, Malcolm. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
138 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Malcolm Muggeridge chose Wheaton College Special Collections to be the repository for his papers in 1985. The first shipment was received in 1988. Additional papers and memorabilia have been received until the collection has come to its present size of 130 linear feet.
- Abortion -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Amis, Kingsley.
- Authors, English -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Authors, English. -- 20th century -- Diaries.
- Broadcasters. -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Buckley, William F., Jr., 1925-2008.
- Capital punishment -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Catholic converts. -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Christian biography -- England.
- Christianity -- 20th century.
- Clippings Files
- Conversion -- Biography.
- Conversion -- Christianity.
- Dostoyevsky, Fyodor, 1821-1881
- Editors -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Euthanasia -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Jesus Christ -- Art.
- Journalists -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Kierkegaard, Søren, 1813-1855
- Kingsmill, Hugh, 1889-1949
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Catholic Church.
- Missionaries of Charity -- Biography.
- Muggeridge, Kitty
- Muggeridge, Kitty -- Manuscripts.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Biography -- Pictorial works.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Diaries.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Drama.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Friends and associates.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Interviews.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Manuscripts.
- Muggeridge, Malcolm, 1903-1990 -- Portraits.
- Orwell, George, 1903-1950
- Orwell, George, 1903-1950 -- Manuscripts.
- Pascal, Blaise, 1623-1662.
- Pearson, Hesketh, 1887-1964
- Philosophers -- Denmark -- Biography.
- Social ethics.
- Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr Isaevich, 1918-
- Soviet Union -- History -- 1925-1953.
- Teresa, Mother, 1910
- Teresa, Mother, 1910 -- Manuscripts.
- Vidler, Alexander Roper, 1899-1991
- Malcolm Muggeridge Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script