Hans Rookmaaker Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
The largest portion of the Collection consists of 3 x 5 bibliographic note cards (in Dutch). This is also the only series that includes original manuscript material. A preliminary index has been created to assist the researcher. Copies of published articles in Dutch and English comprise Boxes 1 and 2. Arrangement is by language, and by publication. The articles written for the Dutch newspaper Trouw (1949-1956), and Opbouw (1957-1972) are foldered chronologically. Journal articles in English are arranged alphabetically, while articles in Dutch are arranged chronologically under the journal title, with no attempt to list individual article titles. Fifty-one audio cassette tapes (ca. half in English, remainder in Dutch) provide voice recordings of Dr. Rookmaaker on the topics of art, culture, music, philosophy, and the Bible. He lectured in the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada, as well as in his native Netherlands.
- Created: 1927-2002
- Other: Majority of material found in 1945-1977
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1985
- Rookmaaker, H. R. (Hendrik Roelof) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
28 linear feet other_unmapped
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition The papers of Hans Rookmaaker were given to Wheaton College by his wife, Mrs. Anky Rookmaaker. Long appreciated for the integration of his Christian faith and art criticism, Rookmaaker had lectured at Wheaton College in the 1970s, but it was not until the early 1980s and Dr. Nigel Goodwin's recommendation, that serious efforts were made to secure his archives. Myrna Grant, John Walford, and Paul Snezek, were among those instrumental in the arrival of materials in 1985.
Other Descriptive Information
The papers of Henderik (Hans) Roelof Rookmaaker (1922-1977), Professor of Art History, art critic and columnist, author, and lecturer, occupy approximately fifteen linear feet. The collection includes manuscript bibliographic cards and notes, photocopies of published newspaper columns and articles, and audio cassettes of lectures. The majority of the material is in the Dutch language, while many of the articles and recorded lectures are in English.
- Aesthetics, Modern.
- Art -- History.
- Art -- Philosophy.
- Art and religion.
- Art and society.
- Art, Modern -- 19th century.
- Art, Modern -- 20th century.
- Blues (Music) -- History and criticism.
- Blues (Music) -- Philosophy.
- Christianity and culture
- Christianity and the arts.
- College teachers.
- Financial Records
- Gauguin, Paul, 1848-1903 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Graphic arts, European.
- Jackson, Mahalia, 1911-1972
- Jazz -- History and criticism.
- Jazz -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- Philosophy.
- Legal Documents
- Long-playing records
- Music -- Religious aspects.
- Rock music.
- Rookmaaker, H. R. (Hendrik Roelof), 1922-1977 -- Archives.
- Spirituals (Songs)
- Hans Rookmaaker Papers
- Special Collections, Buswell Library Staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Container: Books (Text)
- Container: LPs A0001-A0043 (Box 80) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0045-A0088 (Box 81) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0089-A0131 (Box 82) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0132-A0161 (Box 83) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0001-B0047 (Box 84) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0048-B0094 (Box 85) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0095-B0136 (Box 86) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0137-B0161 (Box 87) (Text)
- Container: LPs C0001-C0037 (Box 88) (Text)
- Container: LPs C0038-C0079 (Box 89) (Text)
- Container: LPs C0080-C0114 (Box 90) (Text)
- Container: LPs D0001-D0015 (Box 87) (Text)
- Container: LPs E0001-E0022 (Box 91) (Text)