Harold "Red" Grange Papers
Collection — Container: Books/Videos
Scope and Contents
The Red Grange Collection is composed primarily of secondary materials. The core of the collection consists of news clippings that were gathered by Mr. Newlan into 32 scrapbooks, becoming the greatest pool of source material on Grange. The Special Collections received photocopies of the original scrapbooks from the DuPage Heritage Gallery. Mrs. Newlan, after her husbands passing, sent the scrapbooks to Grange in Florida. When the Gallery learned of their existence, it asked to make copies of this important material, thus saving it for future use and research. The news clippings number over 2,000 and are indexed. The 169 page index was done under a CETA grant in 1980 by Michael J. Wayne. The next major portion of the collection consists of photographs numbering over 500. They document Grange's years as a youth in Wheaton, his collegiate days, his professional years, and his retirement. The bulk of the photographs document his collegiate and early professional years. Other secondary material is located in the collection along with various news clippings, articles, media material, and monographs.
- Created: 1921-2017
- Other: Majority of material found in 1923-1978
- Grange, Red (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
37 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The collection was received from the DuPage Heritage Gallery. A later accession of four 3-ring notebooks came from Henry W. Stough II, a Wheaton High School classmate of Red Grange.
Other Descriptive Information
The "Red" Grange Collection is a compilation of mostly secondary material on the football great, Red Grange. It briefly covers the early years of Grange's life in Wheaton, Illinois. It covers extensively his collegiate career and after he began playing football professionally.
- American Football League (1926-1927)
- Athletes -- Biography.
- Athletes -- Pictorial works.
- Chicago Bears (Football team)
- Clippings Files
- College sports
- College sports -- United States -- History.
- Fighting illini (Football team)
- Football -- Records -- United States.
- Football -- United States -- Biography.
- Football -- United States -- History.
- Football players
- Football players -- Biography.
- Football players -- Illinois -- Biography.
- Football players -- United States -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- Football players -- United States -- Biography.
- Football stories.
- Grange, Red, 1903-1991 -- Manuscripts.
- National Football League.
- Photograph Albums
- Pro Football Hall of Fame (U.S.)
- Sports -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign -- Football -- History.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign -- History.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign -- Pictorial works.
- Harold "Red" Grange Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script