Arthur Christy Papers
The Arthur Christy collection is categorized according to personal and professional manuscripts. Private papers contain correspondence to and from friends, professors and editors. The public papers contain manuscripts, articles, translations and chapters for books, many with handwritten corrections and jottings by Christy. Class notes and other coursework are also featured, along with essays profiling literary and anthropological subjects. Book and article manuscripts emphasize Christy's focus on the influence of Oriental (Indian and Confucian) themes upon American literature, particularly as seen in the writings of Emerson, Thoreau and other New England Transcendentalists. Christy's research displays a tremendous breadth of reading and acute analytical ability. Of particular interest are Christy's notes for his proposed Thoreau Fact Book, unpublished at the time of his death. The papers are contained in 12 boxes, comprising 13 linear feet.
- Created: 1927-1946
- Christy, Arthur (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
13 linear feet other_unmapped
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition The circumstances of the donation of the collection is uncertain, however the collection was received by Wheaton College in 1979.
Other Descriptive Information
The Arthur Christy Papers highlights Christy
- Christy, Arthur, 1899-1946
- Christy, Arthur, 1899-1946 -- Lecture notes.
- East Asia
- East Asia -- Relations -- United States.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Lecture notes
- Literature, Comparative
- Literature, Comparative -- American and Oriental.
- Thoreau, Henry David, 1817-1862
- Thoreau, Henry David, 1817-1862 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Transcendentalism (New England)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Faculty.
- Arthur Christy Papers
- Special Collections, Buswell Library Staff
- Description rules
- Language of description