Busman’s Honeymoon Collection
Scope and Contents
Busman’s Honeymoon is a Lord Peter Wimsey / Harriet Vane detective story which began as a stage play co-authored by Dorothy L. Sayers and her Somerville College friend, Muriel St. Clare Byrne. The production opened on the London stage in December 1936, and was first published as a play version in 1937. The story was subsequently expanded into a novel by Sayers and published in 1939.
The material in this archive was acquired at auction from Sotheby’s in London by the Wade Center in 2012. The original Sotheby’s lot included in this archive is: Lot 104, v.
- Created: 1935-1946
Conditions Governing Access
Copies or publication of unpublished materials by Dorothy L. Sayers require permissions from the Sayers Literary Executor.
1.00 box : 10 folders
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This archive contains fan correspondence and theater returns from the play version of "Busman's Honeymoon" written by Dorothy L. Sayers and Muriel St. Clare Byrne.
Source of Acquisition
Several manuscripts and first edition copies of the play and novel Busman’s Honeymoon were removed from this collection and placed in the Sayers Manuscript collection and the Wade Center’s book collection. See the “Related Materials” section.
Other Descriptive Information
There is a research copy of this collection. There is an acquisition file for this collection.
Processed by Laura Schmidt
- Byrne, M. St. Clare (Muriel St. Clare), 1895-
- Byrne, M. St. Clare -- Archives.
- Sayers, Dorothy L. (Sayers, Dorothy Leigh)
- Sayers, Dorothy L. -- Archives.
- Vane, Harriet (Fictitious character)
- Vane, Harriet (Fictitious character) -- Drama.
- Wimsey, Peter, Lord (Fictitious character)
- Wimsey, Peter, Lord (Fictitious character) -- Drama.
- Busman's Honeymoon Collection
- Laura Schmidt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note