Robert Havard Papers
Scope and Contents
There are five series in the Havard Papers: Biographical Papers, Book Reviews, Correspondence, Poetry, and Professional Papers.
Biographical Papers: A number of collected biographical papers, including official birth and death announcements, a handwritten genealogy of Grace Mary Havard, and a number of handwritten journal reflections on the life and experiences of Dr. Havard.
Book Reviews: Various published and unpublished book reviews written by Havard concerning books on the topics of morals, medicine, and family life.
Correspondence: A number of letters between Robert Havard and various recipients. Largest collection of correspondence is between Havard and his wife, Grace Mary Havard, during his time serving as a naval surgeon in the Second World War.
Poetry: A variety of poetry written over a broad span of years, primarily typescripts by Havard, arranged alphabetically by poem title. Many poems contain multiple drafts or carbon copies which were separated from their second pages and additional stanzas in the original order of the papers. The processor attempted to match pages together when possible, but a number of poetry fragments remain.
Professional Papers: A number of published and unpublished works of Dr. Robert E. Havard, varying in content including scientific articles, journal entries regarding medical practice, and ethical/moral commentaries.
- Created: 1923-1974
- Other: Majority of material found in 1923-1956
- Other: Date acquired: 06/00/1975
Biographical or Historical Information
The Robert Havard Papers were acquired by Dr. Clyde S. Kilby on a trip to England in June of 1975. Copies were made for Dr. Kilby during his visit and the originals remain with J.E.A. Havard, son of Dr. R.E. Havard, who lives in Scotland.
1.00 box : 19 Folders
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Robert Havard Papers is a collection of personal and professional papers by and about Dr. Robert Emlyn Havard, personal physician of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien and a member of the Inklings.
Source of Acquisition
Processed by Basye Peek.
- Antimalarials -- Therapeutic use.
- Havard, R. E. (Robert Emlyn), 1901-1985.
- Havard, Robert Emlyn -- Archives.
- Havard, Robert Emlyn -- Correspondence.
- Havard, Robert Emlyn -- Family.
- Havard, Robert Emlyn -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
- Inklings (Group of writers)
- Lewis, C. S. (Lewis, Clive Staples)
- Lewis, C. S. -- Friends and associates.
- Malaria -- Chemotherapy.
- Tolkien, J. R. R. -- Friends and associates.
- Tolkien, J.R.R.
- Robert Havard Papers
- Laura Schmidt, Basye Peak
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Marion E. Wade Center Repository
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593 US