Collection 063 Papers of Ezra Stiles
Scope and Contents
Microfilm edition of the Stiles papers at Yale University, containing correspondence, itineraries, literary diaries, weather journals, miscellaneous papers, and sermons.
Note on the Microfilm: This microfilm edition of the Stiles Papers was prepared from originals primarily housed in the Beinecke Library, Yale University. It consists of six series: Correspondence, Itineraries, Literary Diary, Meteorological Journals, Miscellaneous Volumes and Papers, and Sermons. A reel list and a selective cross reference list are given here; a detailed section of reel notes and an exhaustive index can be found in the Selesky volume.
- Created: 1667-1845
- Majority of material found within 1745 - 1795
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Ezra Stiles was born in North Haven, Connecticut. He graduated from Yale College at the age of nineteen, and over the next four decades was licensed to preach the gospel, tutored at Yale, dabbled in experiments with electricity, was admitted to the Connecticut bar, married twice and fathered eight children, helped found what is now Brown University, and became the president of Yale. A few years before his death, he became the first president of the first Connecticut society dedicated to the abolition of slavery. A more definitive biography can be found in Harold E. Selesky, A Guide To The Microfilm Edition Of The Ezra Stiles Papers At Yale University (New Haven: Yale University Library, 1978), in the Archives Reading Room bibliography, Connecticut shelf.
22 Reels of microfilm
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
This material was received by the Billy Graham Center Archives in 1980.
October 10, 1980
Retyped, May 17, 1989
- Congregational churches
- Congregational churches -- Sermons.
- Congregational ministers.
- Connecticut -- History
- Connecticut -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- New England
- New England -- History
- New England -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Puritans -- New England.
- Sermons, American.
- Society for Propagating the Gospel among the Indians and Others in North America.
- Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Great Britain)
- Stiles, Ezra,
- Stiles, Ezra, -- Sermons.
- Yale University
- Yale University -- History.
- Collection 063 Papers of Ezra Stiles
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Eighteenth Century Handwriting
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US