Collection 604 Oral History Interview with Dan D. Crawford
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Dan Duvall Crawford in which he discusses his parents, Percy and Ruth (Duvall) Crawford; Percy Crawford’s evangelistic ministry at meetings, through radio and television programming; and the camps his father founded. Other topics discussed include Crawford’s experiences at Pine Brook Camp as a child; Pine Brook Praises and Young People’s Church of the Air; Percy Crawford’s relationship with Billy Graham and Jack Wyrtzen; his parents’ partnership in ministry; influence of evangelists Paul Rader and R.A. Torrey; education at Bible Institute of Los Angeles (BIOLA); Percy’s management style; Percy as an example of the centrality of fundamentalism to American values and traditions; Dan’s education and career following Percy’s death. The time period covered by the interview is ca. 1920 to 1940.
Dan Crawford was interviewed by Bob Shuster on August 3, 2004, at Mr. Crawford’s home in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.
- Created: 2004
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Dan Duvall Crawford
Birth: 1941 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Parents: Percy Bartimus and Ruth Marjorie (Duvall) Crawford
Siblings: Donald Bruce (1937), Richard Torrey (1939), Dean (1944), Donna Lee (1949)
Marital Status: Married to Sidnie White Crawford in 1994
1951-1956 - Germantown Academy, Germantown, Pennsylvania
1956-1959 - Briarcliffe Manor High School, Briarcliffe Manor, New York
1959-1961 - The King’s College, Briarcliffe Manor, New York
1961-1963 - Transfer to Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania, USA. B.A. in Philosophy
1963-1966 - Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA. M.A. in Religion
1966-1970 - University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Ph.D. in Philosophy
From a young age he and his brothers made up a quartet that sang at his father’s evangelistic meetings and on his radio and television program. The group was known as “The Four Ds.”
1970-1973 - Taught philosophy at Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
1974-1978 - Taught philosophy at Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
1978-1997 - Taught philosophy at Albright College, Reading, Pennsylvania, USA
1997 - Senior lecturer in philosophy and the classics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
19?? - Part owner, with his brother Richard and others, of Christian radio station WDAC in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
Other Significant Information: Author of a biography of his father, A Thirst for Souls: the Life of Evangelist Percy B. Crawford (1902-1960). Manuscript was finished in 2007.
2.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Gaham Center Archives by Dan Crawford in August 2004.
July 25, 2008
- Children of clergy -- United States.
- Children of clergy.
- Christian education, Outdoor.
- Christian leadership -- United States.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Cook, Robert A., 1912-
- Crawford, Dan D., 1941-
- Crawford, Dean.
- Crawford, Donald Bruce, 1937-
- Crawford, Donna Lee.
- Crawford, Percy B. (Percy Bartimus)
- Drury, William A.
- Evangelistic work -- Music.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018.
- Horton, T. C. (Thomas Corwin), 1848-1932.
- Johnson, Torrey Maynard, 1909-
- King's College (Briarcliffe, N.Y.)
- King's Korean Mission.
- Meadowbrook (Pa.)
- Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Pinebrook Bible Conference.
- Pinebrook Praises (Radio program)
- Porter, Ruth Crawford, 1916-1986.
- Rader, Paul, 1879-1938.
- Radio audiences -- United States.
- Radio audiences.
- Radio broadcasting -- United States.
- Radio broadcasting.
- Radio in religion -- United States.
- Radio in religion.
- Rhoads, Ross.
- Sermons, American -- 20th century.
- Sermons, American.
- Sunday, Billy, 1862-1935.
- Television in religion -- United States.
- Television in religion.
- Torrey, R. A. (Reuben Archer), 1856-1928
- WPCA-TV (Television station : Philadelphia, Penn.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Word of Life, Inc.
- Wyrtzen, Jack, 1913-1996.
- Yeaworth, Irvin S.
- Young People's Church of the Air.
- Youth on the March (Television program)
- Collection 604 Oral History Interview with Dan D. Crawford
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script