Collection 649 Records of SIM International
Identifier: CN 649
Scope and Contents
Microfilm of official documents, publications, and private papers relating to the work of the Sudan Interior Mission in Ethiopia, Nigeria, Sudan, Benin, Niger, Upper Volta, and Ivory Coast. This collection consist of a copy negative of microfilm of the records of Sudan Interior Mission. The film was given to the BGC Archives by the SIM International Archives to make these resources for the history of the church in Africa more widely available. The documents are solely from Sudan Interior Mission. There is nothing on this film from AEM, ICF or AEF. The microfilm contains documents about Sudan Interior Mission’s work in Ethiopia, Nigeria, Sudan, Benin, Niger, Upper Volta, and Ivory Coast. Documents include reports, correspondence, diaries of missionaries, administrative files, records of individual mission stations, minutes, newsletters, magazines, books, and miscellaneous records, most of which were created by or for Western missionaries or their supporters in North America, Europe, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. There are also copies of a number of Sudan Interior Mission periodicals, including Sudan Witness and The Evangelical Christian and Missionary Witness.The BGC Archives has little information about the contents of these collections, beyond what can be found in the microfilm list below. There is a notebook with more information on individual reels, mainly relating to the microfilming of the material on those reels, but also in some cases containing signifciant additional information on the contents. SIM staff created this microfilm from original documents in 1984 through 1987, with some additional work done in 1991 and 1992. The original documents from which the microfilm was made are in the SIM International Archives in Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA. The SIM International Archives has the original master negative of the microfilm. Apparently no positive copies of the microfilm were ever made.
- Created: 1887-1987
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
SIM International retains all rights to original documents captured on the microfilm. Researchers may duplicate any material on the microfilm for their own personal research use.
Biographical or Historical Information
Canadians Roland V. Bingham and Walter Gowans and American Thomas Kent founded Soudan (later Sudan) Interior Mission in 1893 to evangelize the people of sub-Saharan Africa. In the 1980s, SIM, the Andes Evangelical Mission (AEF), and International Christian Fellowship joined to become SIM, Society for International Ministries. The Africa Evangelical Fellowship joined SIM in 1998.
132.00 Reels of microfilm
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The microfilm in this collection was given to the Wheaton College Billy Graham CenterBGC Archives by the SIM International Archives in June 2009.
- Africa Committee for the Rehabilitation of Southern Sudan.
- Africa Inland Mission, International.
- Africa Now.
- Bingham, Rowland V.,
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Africa, Sub-Saharan.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Africa, West.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Benin.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Ethiopia.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Ivory Coast.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Niger.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Nigeria.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Sudan.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Upper Volta.
- Evangelical Christian.
- Faithful Witness.
- Gowans, Walter
- Hay, Ian M.
- Italo-Ethiopian War, 1935-1936.
- Kent, Thomas
- SIM (Organization)
- Sudan -- History
- Sudan -- History -- 1899-1956.
- Sudan -- History -- Civil War, 1955-1972.
- Sudan Interior Church.
- Sudan Interior Mission.
- Sudan Witness.
- The Evangelical Christian and Missionary Witness
- Today's Challenge.
- Women in missionary work.
- Collection 649 Records of SIM International
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script