Collection 423 Oral History Interviews with Rodrigo Chavarria
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Rodrigo Chavarria (1956-2015) in which he discusses his childhood in Costa Rica, his conversion to Christianity; spiritual development; his theological education in Costa Rica and the United States; relations between Protestants and Catholics in Costa Rica; relations between the church and the state; Pentecostalism in Costa Rica; liberation theology; and evangelical institutions in Costa Rica. Other topics include a discussion of Escuela des Estudios Pastorales (ESEPA), Association of Bible Churches of Costa Rica (AIBC), Seminario Biblico Latino-Americano; theological issues in Costa Rica; the Costa Rica Evangelical Alliance; Good Will Caravans; and the unity of the Costa Rican church. The time period covered by the interviews is 1956 to 1989
Rodrigo Chavarria was interviewed by Robert Shuster on November 8 and December 1, 1989 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1989
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Rodrigo Chavarria Birth date: March 22, 1956
Death Date: December 4, 2015
Birth Place: San Jose, Costa Rica
Parents: Alberto and Virginia Chavarria
Conversion: April 4, 1982, at a service by Dr. Wilton Nelson
Marital Status: Married Emilia Marin in 1977
Children: oldest Laura, two younger children
Liceo de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica--graduated 1973
Escuela des Estudios Pastorales, San Jose, Costa Rica--1984
Columbia Bible College, Columbia, SC--
B.A. in Bible-Pastoral Ministries, 1989
Wheaton College Graduate School, Wheaton IL-- M.A. in Theological Studies, 1991 (degree completed after interviews)
1984 Escuela des Estudios Pastorales, San Jose, Costa Rica Secretary
1984-1985 Association of Bible Churches of Costa Rica (AIBC) Administrator
1987 Counselor at the Billy Graham South Carolina Crusade
1990 Founded the Hispanic congegration (Iglesia Del Pubelo) of the Wheaton Bible Church, Wheaton, Illinois
1991-2015 With his wife had a ministry of teaching and evangelsim in Central America
3 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Rodrigo Chavarria in November and December 1989.
Accession 89-118, 89-126
May 11, 1995
Paul A. Ericksen
- Assemblies of God -- Costa Rica.
- Assemblies of God.
- Association of Bible Churches of Costa Rica.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Costa Rica.
- Catholic Church. -- Protestant churches.
- Chavarria, Rodrigo.
- Christian life.
- Church and state -- Costa Rica.
- Church and state.
- Clergy -- Education.
- Clergy -- Training of
- Clergy -- Training of -- Costa Rica.
- Columbia Bible College (Columbia, S.C.)
- Costa Rica
- Costa Rica -- Religion.
- Cults -- Costa Rica.
- Education -- Costa Rica.
- Evangelistic work -- Costa Rica.
- Evangelistic work.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Costa Rica.
- Latin America Mission.
- Liberation theology.
- Medical care
- Medical care -- Costa Rica.
- Monterroso, Victor Manuel,
- Nelson, Wilton M.
- Pentecostalism -- Costa Rica.
- Persecution -- Costa Rica.
- Seminario Biblico Latinoamericano.
- Theological seminaries -- Costa Rica.
- Theological seminaries.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Asia.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Costa Rica.
- Collection 423 Oral History Interviews with Rodrigo Chavarria
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script