Collection 429 Oral History Interview with Milton Alfonso Acosta
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Milton Alfonso Acosta in which he describes his family background, youth, conversion to Christianity, the Roman Catholic Church in Colombia, charismatic movement in the Catholic Church, the state of the Evangelical church in Colombia; involvement in the student movement in Colombia, ministry as a staff worker with Unidad Christiana Universitaria (UCU), and UCU's relationship with local congregations. In a second interview, Acosta continues his description of work among students, financial support of UCU, its relationship to the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students, Jack Voelkel, development of Christian leadership, evangelism among students, cults active in Colombia, Wheaton College Graduate School, the Catholic Church in Colombia, the influence of liberation theology; Colombian families and superstitions; and American perceptions of Colombia. A third interview includes discussion of Acosta's ministry among Mexican migrant workers in Alabama, describing working and living conditions, evangelistic outreach, and his own pastoral and advocacy role among migrant communities. The time period covered in the interview is 1962-1990.
Milton Acosta was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on February 7, February 21 and October 5, 1990, in the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1990
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Full Name: Milton Alfonso Acosta
Birth Date: January 28, 1962
Birth Place: Barranquilla, Colombia
Parents: Father and mother were Christians
Siblings: Milton was third of four children
Conversion: 1980, through parents, church attendance, radio, Bible study, missionary
Marital Status: Single
Denominational Affiliation: Southern Baptist
1979 Colegio La Salle, Monteria, Colombia
1988 Corporacion Unicosta Barranquilla, Spanish/English major
1991 M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School
1986-1989 Staff member, Unidad Christiana Universitaria (member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students)
5 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Milton Acosta in February and October 1990.
Accessions: 90-19, 90-23, 90-111
April 29, 1996
Janyce H. Nasgowitz
- Acosta, Milton.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Colombia.
- Christian leadership.
- Church and social problems -- Colombia.
- Church and social problems.
- Church work with students -- Colombia.
- Church work with students.
- Church work with the working class
- Church work with the working class -- United States.
- Colombia -- Religion.
- Cults -- Colombia.
- Culture shock.
- Evangelistic work -- Colombia.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fund raising.
- Hispanic Americans -- Religious life.
- Hispanic Americans.
- International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES)
- Liberation theology.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Colombia.
- Missions -- Finance.
- Pentecostalism -- Colombia.
- Pentecostalism--Catholic Church
- Religious institutions.
- Unidad Cristiana Universitaria (Colombia)
- Voelkel, Janvier Willison,
- Collection 429 Oral History Interview with Milton Alfonso Acosta
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script