Collection 445 Oral History Interviews with Helen E. Evans
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Helen Elizabeth Evans in which she decsribes her family background; spiritual development; education at Wheaton College; ministry in rural Vermont with the New England Fellowship; the influence of her aunt, Elizabeth Evans; her missionary work in Vietnam and Indonesia with the Christian and Missionary Alliance; and work among Vietnamese in Charlotte, North Carolina. Evans' work in Vietnam was particularly among the Dega and other tribal groups often classified as Montagnards, and included both Bible translation and teaching in a Bible School. The time period covered by the interviews is 1923 to 1991.
Helen Elizabeth Evans was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on September 10 and 11, 1991 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1991
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Helen Elizabeth Evans
Birth Date: February 28, 1923
Parents: Clinton M. (Insurance agent) and Edith N. Fish Evans
Siblings: One brother
Marital Status: Single
Conversion: Approximately 1935 at age 12
1941-1946 B.A. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois, in Christian Education
1949 Nyack Missionary Training Institute
1946-1948 Director of Christian Education for New England Fellowship
1949-1974 Missionary in tribal area of Vietnam (then French Indo-China) for Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA)
1976-1986 Missionary in Sulawesi, Indonesia, for C&MA
1986- Work among Dega refugees in Charlotte, North Carolina
7.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Helen Elizabeth Evans in September 1991.
November 19, 1997
Janyce H. Nasgowitz
- Bible -- Translating.
- Bible colleges
- Bible colleges -- Indonesia.
- Bible colleges -- Vietnam.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Christian education -- Indonesia.
- Christian education -- Vietnam.
- Christian education.
- Christian life.
- College students in missionary work.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Indonesia.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Vietnam.
- Evangelistic work.
- Evans, Elizabeth, 1899-1989.
- Evans, Helen E.
- Indochina -- History
- Indochina -- History -- 1945-
- Interpersonal conflict.
- Jungle Blood Hunters (Motion picture)
- Language in missionary work.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Indonesia.
- Missions -- Rural work.
- Missions -- Vietnam.
- New England Fellowship.
- Refugees -- Vietnam.
- Religion, Primitive
- Religion, Primitive -- Indonesia.
- Religion, Primitive -- Vietnam.
- Sawyer, Helen L.
- Sawyer, Malcolm M.
- Sex role.
- Smith, Gordon Hedderly,
- Thomas, David D.
- Thomas, Dorothy Fowler.
- Translating and interpreting.
- Tribes -- Vietnam.
- Vietnam -- History
- Vietnam -- History -- 1945-1975.
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Wright, J. Elwin.
- Collection 445 Oral History Interviews with Helen E. Evans
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note