Collection 442 Papers of Philip R. Foxwell
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview and one folder relating to the ministry of Philip R. Foxwell with the Independent Board for Presbyterian Foreign Missions and later World Presbyterian Missions.
Series: Audio Tapes
Oral history interview with Philip R. Foxwell in which he describes his youth, conversion, magician career, education at Wheaton College, decision to become a missionary, preparation and orientation for missionary work in Japan with the Independent Board for Presbyterian Foreign Missions and later the World Presbyterian Missions, the Japanese church, theological training, Christianity in Japan and its relationship to culture, Japan during and following the post-World War II American occupation, the Billy Graham 1967 Tokyo Crusade, the role of women in Japan and women missionaries' role in that context, his father-in-law, J. Oliver Buswell and Tokyo Christian Theological Seminary which he founded, and other topics related to missions to Japan. The time period covered by the interview is approximately from the 1920s to 1991.
Philip Ross Foxwell was interviewed by Paul A. Ericksen on May 17, 1991.
Series: Box List
This collection contains one folder which includes a brochure on Tokyo Christian University, a newsletter from Tokyo Christian Institute, and an excerpt from Philip Foxwell's memoirs (folder 1).
- Created: 1990-1991
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical or Historical Information
Full Name: Philip Ross Foxwell
Birth Date: October 28, 1914
Birth Place: Madison, Wisconsin
Death Date: September 29, 2013 in California
Parents: Daniel D. and Hazel Pennewell Foxwell
Siblings: Philip the oldest of two children
Marital Status: Married to Jane Alice Buswell, 1945 (daughter of J. Oliver Buswell, president of Wheaton College)
Children: Mary, Martha, Linda, Philip Jr.
Conversion: circa 1933
Denominational Affiliation: Baptist, Wheaton Bible Church, Presbyterian
1932 Graduated from high school
1942 BA, Wheaton College, major in Bible
1944 MA, Wheaton College Graduate School
1946 BD, Northern Baptist Seminary
1947 TSM (Master of Sacred Theology), Faith Theological Seminary
1932 Professional magician 1948 Seminary teacher, Yokkaichi City, Honshu, Japan
1963 Seminary teacher, Tokyo, Japan
1972 Affiliated with World Presbyterian Missions (WPM); Japan Christian Mission
1980 Returned from Japan
1981 U.S. Center for World Mission, Mobilization Dept.
Foxwell lectureship established at Tokyo Christian Seminary
Chairman of Japan field for WPM
Founder and president of Tokyo Christian Theological Seminary (Japan Christian Theological Seminary
Oversaw merger between Tokyo Christian College and Kyoritsu Women's Bible School
President of Japan Bible Council
Philip Foxwell: Missionary Magician. William Carey Library, 1989 (autobiography)
0.10 Cubic Feet
3 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Philip Foxwell in May 1991.
June 30, 1997
Janyce H. Nasgowitz
- Buswell, J. Oliver (James Oliver), 1895-1977.
- Christian education -- Japan.
- Christian education.
- Christianity and culture -- Japan.
- Christianity and culture.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- Japan.
- Foxwell, Jane Alice.
- Foxwell, Philip,
- Independent Board for Presbyterian Foreign Missions.
- Japan -- History.
- Magic tricks.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Japan -- Church history
- Missions -- Japan -- Church history -- 1945-
- Missions -- Japan -- History -- 1945-
- Missions -- Japan -- History.
- Missions -- Japan -- Religion.
- Missions -- Japan -- Social life and customs.
- Missions -- Japan.
- Missions -- Korea.
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions.
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions -- Japan.
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions -- Korea.
- Presbyterian Church in America.
- Presbyterian Church.
- Sex role -- Japan.
- Sex role.
- Theological seminaries -- Japan.
- Theological seminaries.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Asia.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Japan.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Tokyo Christian University.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Women missionaries.
- World Presbyterian Missions.
- Collection 442 Papers of Philip R. Foxwell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note