Collection 448 Oral History Interviews with Seung-Hun Yang
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Seung-Hun Yang in which he discusses the discipline and devotion of the rural South Korean Presbyterian church he grew up in, the effects of the Korean War on the country, his father's example as a Christian and lay leader, the work of the Navigators abd Campus Crusade for Christ in Korea, Yang's education as a physicist, the introduction of creation science to Korea, his efforts to found a Christian university, and the strengths and weaknesses of the Korean church in 1991. The time period covered by the interview is 1955-1991.
Dr. Yang was interviewed by Robert Shuster on October 17 and October 31, 1991 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1991
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Seung-Hun Yang
Birth Date: April 15, 1955 in Jumchon, Korea
Parents: Myungchul (In English means "Brightness") and Eui Jung Lim Yang
Siblings: 8 brothers and sisters, 6 of whom lived to adulthood
Marital Status: Married to Jin Gyung Park in 1981
Children: Three - Bummo (1982), Changmo (1984), Yeum (1987)
Conversion: While a college student
January 1973 Graduated from Mungyung secondary school in Jumchon
February 1977 Graduated with a B.S. in Physics from Kyungpook National University in Taegu, Korea
February 1980 Received from the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in Seoul, Korea, his M.S. in Physics
August 1983 Received from the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and technology in Seoul, Korea, his doctorate in physics
1986 Postdoctoral research at the University of Chicago. Returned to Korea at the end of the year
1991 Received M.A. in the History of Science from University of Wisconsin-Madison
1992 Received M.A. in Theology from the Wheaton College Graduate School
1983-1988 Assistant professor of physics at Kyungpook National University in Taegu, Korea 1983-1990 Founding member and director of the Taegu regional branch of the Korean Association of Creation Research
1984-1990 Founder and general secretary of the Christian University Fellowlaborers Association
1988-1995 Associate professor of physics at Kyungpook National University in Taegu, Korea
1995- Professor of physics at Kyungpook National University in Taegu, Korea
Other significant information: Author of several books and articles on scientific and biblical creationism and has given hundreds of lectures on the same topic around South Korea.
4 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Seung-Hun Yang in October 1991.
Accession: 91-97, 91-103 April 16, 1997
- American Scientific Affiliation.
- Campus Crusade for Christ.
- Children. -- Korea
- Children. -- Korea -- Religious life.
- Christian University Fellowlaborers Association (Korea)
- Christian education -- Korea.
- Christian education -- Philosophy.
- Christian education.
- Christian life.
- Christianity and culture -- Korea.
- Christianity and culture.
- Church and state -- Korea.
- Church and state.
- College students -- Korea
- College students -- Korea -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Creation -- Biblical teaching.
- Creationism -- Study and teaching
- Creationism -- Study and teaching -- Korea.
- Creationism -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- Korea.
- Evangelicalism -- Korea.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Institute for Creation Research.
- Intercultural communication -- Korea.
- Intercultural communication.
- Kon, Kim Jun.
- Korea -- History
- Korea -- History -- 20th century.
- Korea -- Religion.
- Korean Association of Creation Research.
- Missions -- Korea.
- Music -- Christianity.
- Presbyterians -- Korea.
- Religion and science.
- Rural churches -- Korea.
- Rural churches.
- Torrey, R. A. (Reuben Archer), 1856-1928
- Yang, Seung-Hun.
- Collection 448 Oral History Interviews with Seung-Hun Yang
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US