Collection 366 Oral History Interview with Lemuel Tucker
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Lemuel Simpson Tucker (1952-1989)in which he describes his childhood and family, spiritual growth, education, leadership of Voice of Calvary Ministries (VOCM), John Perkins, VOCM's ministry in Jackson, Mississippi, evangelism in the African American community, Mendenhall Ministries, and racial conditions in Mississippi. Other topics discussed include the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's 1975 Deep South Crusade in Jackson; racism in America; the African American church; America's white church; and Voice of Calvary's impact on the Jackson community. The time period covered by the interview is 1952-1987.
Lem Tucker was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on June 18, 1987 at the Voice of Calvary Ministries' International Study Center in Jackson, Mississippi.
- Created: 1987
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Full Name: Lemuel Simpson Tucker
Birth Date: February 27, 1952, in Norfolk, Virginia.
Death Date: After being diagnosed with cancer (American Burkitt's Lymphoma) in mid-March 1989, Tucker died on June 16, 1989, being survived by his wife
Parents: names not known, both teachers
Siblings: Second of two children
Marital Status: Married Eleanor Tucker
Conversion: In 1969 while a college freshman
1969 Graduated from high school
1969-1974 Graduated from the College of William and Mary, BA in psychology
1974-1977 Graduated from Westminster Seminary, Philadelphia , MDiv
1977 Executive Director of Voice of Calvary Ministries' International Study Center, and simultaneously as Inter-Varsity staff on the Jackson State campus
1979 Executive director for Voice of Calvary Ministries
1981 President of Voice of Calvary Ministries, from which he oversaw the development of Voice of Calvary's administrative structure
Other significant information: First met John Perkins during a National Black Evangelical Association Conference, and then again when they were both featured plenary speakers at Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship's Urbana '76
Note written by 85 minutes
2.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Lemuel Tucker in June 1987.
April 10, 1990
Paul A. Ericksen
- African Americans -- Social conditions.
- African Americans.
- Alcoholism -- United States
- Alcoholism. -- United States -- Race relations.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Church and state -- United States.
- Church and state.
- Community development -- Mississippi.
- Community development.
- Discrimination -- Christianity.
- Discrimination -- United States.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Mississippi.
- Jackson (Miss.)
- Mendenhall (Miss.)
- Mendenhall Ministries (Mendenhall, Miss.)
- Organizational change -- United States.
- Organizational change.
- Perkins, John,
- Prejudices -- United States.
- Race relations.
- Racism -- United States.
- Reagan, Ronald.
- Social change.
- Theological seminaries -- United States.
- Theological seminaries.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Asia.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Tucker, Lem.
- Voice of Calvary Ministries (U.S.)
- Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Collection 366 Oral History Interview with Lemuel Tucker
- Paul Ericksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US