Collection 656 Oral History Interviews with Cynthia L. Judge
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Cynthia L. Judge, a volunteer leader in the Short-Term Missions movement (STM). Topics discussed: Judge’s childhood in Rockford, Illinois; development of her Christian faith; attendance at Moody Bible Institute; Chicago in 1968 after the assassination of Martin Luther King; work as a staff member of Campus Crusade for Christ in Tennessee and West Virginia; marriage to James Judge; short-term mission trips to Ecuador and Kenya; Africa Inland Mission and Africa Inland Church; Explo '72; Little Lambs Ministry; the STM programs at College Church, Willow Creek Community Church, and Wheaton Bible Church; the Honey Rock Camp program at Wheaton College; reflections on the development of STM movement over twenty years.
Cynthia Judge was interviewed by Bob Shuster on May 28 and June 14, 2010, in the offices of the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Judge, Cynthia L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings in this collection is held by the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
Full name: Cynthia L. Judge
Birth: June 1949
Parents: Robert and Carolyn Peterson
Siblings: 1 brother Robert, 1 sister Carolyn
Marital Status: Married to James R, Judge, Jr.
Children: 2 daughters
Conversion: At the age of four, led by her father
1967-1970 - Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois. Diploma in Foreign Missions.
1972-1973 - Campus Crusade staff at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville 1973-1976 - Assistant director of Campus ministry for Camus Crusade for Christ, West Virginia University
1973-1978 - Member of Christian & Missionary Alliance Church, Morganville, West Virginia
1978 - Taught English to nursing students at the ECWA Hospital and Nursing School in Egbe, Nigeria, under the Sudan Interior Mission
1978-1981 - First Evangelical Free Church, Rockford, Illinois. Served on the missions board, involved in the children’s and singles ministries
1981-1989 - College Church, Wheaton, Illinois. Led Women’s ministry, small group leader’s training, member of the personnel committee and the missions board
1990-1991 - Short-term missionary with Africa Inland Mission in Kijabe, Kenya. Taught evangelism training for hospital employees and Basic Christianity at nursing school of the Kijabe Medical Center. Co-taught Discipleship at the Moffat Bible College.
1990-2000 - Willow Creek Community Church, South Barrington, Illinois. Member of the International Ministries board and for eight years oversaw the short-term missions’ program.
1994-1996 - Little Lamb Ministries, Board member, camp ministry for orphans
1994-2002 - National Short-Term Missions Conference, member of the steering committee
2003- Wheaton Bible Church, first of Wheaton, Illinois, later moved to West Chicago, Illinois. Global Outreach Director.
Other significant information
Author of Before You Pack Your Bag, Prepare Your Heart, Campfire Resources (1999), Wheaton, Illinois.
2 Sound Recordings
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Cynthia Judge in May and June 2010.
Accession: 10-36, 10-40
April 27, 2020
- Africa Inland Church.
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Campus Crusade for Christ.
- Church work with single people
- College Church in Wheaton (Ill.)
- Community development -- Religious aspects -- Christianity
- Cruz, Nicky.
- Elmer, Duane, 1943-
- Evangelistic work -- Dominican Republic.
- Explo '72 (1972 : Dallas, Tex.)
- First Evangelical Covenant Church (Rockford, Ill.)
- Guerrero, Robert
- HCJB (Radio station : Quito, Ecuador)
- Hughes, Kent, 1942-
- Indigenous church administration
- Inner cities -- United States.
- Jesus People -- United States
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968.
- Little Lambs Ministry.
- Missions -- Dominican Republic.
- Moffat Bible College (Kijabe, Kenya).
- Moody Bible Institute -- Alumni.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- National Short-Term Missions Conference (U.S.)
- Pioneer Girls.
- Race riots
- Root, Jerry.
- Short-term missions.
- Wheaton Bible Church (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Graduate School
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Honey Rock Camp
- Willow Creek Community Church (South Barrington, Ill.)
- World Vision International.
- Collection 656 Oral History Interviews with Cynthia L. Judge
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script