Collection 641 Oral History Interviews with David Kirwa Tarus
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with David Kirwa Tarus, a Kenyan pastor and theologian. Tarus describes the ministry of his parents; growing up in Kenya; his conversion; spiritual development; Scott Theological College; the Africa Inland Church in Kenya; Scott’s satellite campus in Eldoret; the general condition of Christianity in Kenya; his impressions of the United States and Wheaton Graduate School; the 2008 election of Barak Obama. The interview covers the time period 1979-2008.
David Kirwa Tarus was interviewed by Bob Shuster November 2008 in the offices of the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
- Tarus, David Kirwa (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full name: David Kirwa Tarus
Birth: October 29, 1979, a member of the Kalenjin people
Parents: Joshua and Salina Misol
Siblings: Six brothers and two sisters
Marital Status: Married to Jeanne Ng'eno
Conversion: August 1993, while attending a Christian camp
?-2000: Kemeloi High School for Boys
?-2005: Graduated from Scott Theological College, Machakos, Kenya
2008-2010: Attended Wheaton Graduate School, Wheaton, Illinois. Graduated with a MA in Historical and Systematic Theology.
?-2005? - Chief public relations officer of Scott Theological College while attending the school as a student
July 2005-? - Director of the Eldoret satellite campus of Scott Theological College, also head of the theology department. Started campus from scratch, hiring staff and faculty and recruiting students.
July 2005-? - Associate pastor of the AIC Kosirai Church, Eldoret, Kenya
2006 - Host of a Christian radio talk show, the Balidika Show, aimed at youth on Satui Ya Rehema Radio (Voice of Mercy) Other significant information
Head of the Christian Union at his secondary school
While attending Scott Theological College also served in Nairobi as a youth pastor (AIC Kasarani)
2 Sound Recordings
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives by David Kirwa Tarus in November 2008.
Accession: 08-58, 08-61
June 11, 2020
- AIDS (disease) -- Religious aspects -- Christianity
- Africa Inland Church.
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Boarding schools -- Kenya.
- Catholic Church -- Kenya.
- Christianity and culture -- Kenya.
- Church and social problems -- Kenya.
- Church and state -- Kenya.
- Clergy, training of -- Kenya.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Evangelicalism -- Kenya.
- Evangelistic work -- Kenya.
- Holy Spirit.
- Independent churches -- Kenya.
- Indigenous church administration -- Kenya.
- Jesus (Motion Picture)
- Kenya -- History -- Election crisis, 2007-2008.
- Kenya -- Religion.
- Kibor Zablon, Jacob.
- Missionaries -- Kenya.
- Missions -- Kenya.
- Moi, Daniel Arap, 1924-
- Muslims -- Kenya.
- National Council of Churches of Kenya.
- Obama, Barack.
- Pentecostalism -- Kenya.
- Prosperity gospel
- Public health -- Kenya.
- Radio in religion -- Kenya.
- Religious and ecclesiastical institutions -- Kenya.
- Scott Theological College.
- Sex role -- Kenya.
- Theological seminaries -- Kenya.
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Graduate School
- Collection 641 Oral History Interviews with David Kirwa Tarus
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script