Collection 626 Oral History Interview with Stephen Christopher
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Stephen Christopher, a Tamil mission leader. Topics covered in the interview include his childhood, education and conversion; the work of Dohnavur Fellowship; ministry of his father (P. T. Christopher) and the founding of the Tamil Gospel Village Mission, his own vision for the ministry; the Christian church in northern and southern India; and a comparison of Indian and American Christianity. The time period covered by the interview is 1980 to 2006.
Stephen Christopher was interviewed by Bob Shuster on January 24, 2007, in the offices of the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives in Wheaton, Illinois.
- Christopher, Stephen, 1980- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the material in this collection is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full name: Stephen Christopher
Birth: April 28, 1980, in the village of Nazareth, Tamil Nadu, India
Parents: P. T. (father) and Jeyaseeli Christopher
Siblings: One brother, Peter
Conversion: Ca. 1993 while at a Santhosha Vidyalaya retreat in his home village of Nazareth
1986-1998 - Secondary school, Santhosha Vidyalaya, an institution of the Dohnavur Fellowship, Dohnavur, Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu, India
1999-2002 - BA in English literature from Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India
2002-2004 - MSW in Social Work from Bishop Heber College
2006-2008 - MA in Inter-cultural Studies from Wheaton College Graduate School, Wheaton, Illinois
2004- Managing director, Tamil Village Gospel Mission
1 Sound Recording
Language of Materials
Additions and Accruals
The materials in this collection were given to the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives by Stephen Christopher in January 2007.
June 24, 2020
- Boarding schools -- India.
- Christian education -- India.
- Christianity and culture -- India.
- Christopher, P. T.
- Church and state -- India.
- Church development, New -- India.
- Church work with children -- India.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Dohnavur Fellowship.
- Evangelistic work -- India.
- Friends Missionary Prayer Band (Trivandum, India)
- Hinduism -- India.
- Hindus -- India.
- India -- Religion
- India -- Social life and customs.
- Indigenous church administration -- India.
- Intercultural communication -- India.
- Missions -- India.
- Missions -- Tamil.
- Orphans -- India.
- Persecution -- India.
- Piṣap Hīpar Kallūri.
- Prosperity gospel
- Staines, Graham Stuart, d. -1999
- Stuart, David E., Jr.
- Tamil (Indic people) -- Religion
- Tamil Village Gospel Mission
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Graduate School
- Collection 626 Oral History Interview with Stephen Christopher
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script