Collection 356 Records of the Prison Ministries Videos
Scope and Contents
The material in this collection consists of edited videotaped programs produced by the staff of the Institute of Prison Ministries of the Billy Graham Center. Programs contain interviews by director of Institute for Prison Ministries with people involved in the criminal justice system. Prominant people interviewed include Chief Justic Warren Burger, Senator Mark Hatfield, and Attorney General Edwin Meese; also interviewed are prisoners, social workers, gang members, and prison guards. Other videos are programs done about IPM director, Don Smarto, and the Institute for Prison Ministries. Programs were produced to be broadcast on television and shown at IPM conferences.
- Created: 1985-1986
Conditions Governing Access
The videos in this collection may not be duplicated or used outside the Reading Room without written permission. Requests for permission should be directed to:
Director of Institute for Prison Ministries
Billy Graham Center, Wheaton College,
Wheaton, IL 60187
Forms to be sent to the contact person should be obtained from the staff in the Reading Room.
Founded as a program of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, 1984; intended to be a resource for prison ministries and individuals who bring the gospel to prisoners; conducted research, convened consultations and offered academic programs; oversaw a scholarship for ex-offenders to study at Wheaton College; Donald Smarto served as director, beginning in 1984.
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The material in this collection was received by the Billy Graham Center Archives from the Institute of Prison Ministries in January, 1987.
January 28, 1987
- Billy Graham Center.
- Billy Graham Center. Institute for Prison Ministries.
- Burger, Warren E., 1907-1995.
- Christianity and justice.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Church and social problems.
- Church work with prisoners -- United States.
- Church work with prisoners.
- Crime and criminals
- Crime and criminals -- United States.
- Criminals -- United States.
- Hatfield, Mark O., 1922-2011.
- In defense of justice (Television program)
- Legislators -- United States.
- Meese, Edwin.
- Prisoners -- Religious life.
- Prisoners -- United States.
- Prisons -- Missions and charities.
- Prisons -- United States
- Prisons -- United States -- Officials and employees.
- Smarto, Donald.
- Social justice.
- Social service
- Social service -- United States.
- United States Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas.
- Collection 356 Records of Prison Ministries Videos
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script