Collection 662: Oral History Interviews with Marcus Figueiredo
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews of Brazilian minister and missionary Marcus Figueiredo. Topics covered included his family background; membership in a spiritualist church, conversion; education at Seminario Biblico Palavra da Vida (Word of Life Seminary); his battle with cancer; pastoral duties at the Igreja Presbiteriana 12 de Agosto (August 12 Presbyterian Church); Evangelicalism in Brazil; Pioneer Missions; mission work in Kyrgyzstan as a teacher of English; Muslim attitudes towards Jesus; the Wheaton College Graduate School; Evangelicalism in the United States. The time period covered by the interview is 1969-2011.
Marcus Figueiredo was interviewed by Bob Shuster January and February 2011 in the offices of the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives in Wheaton, Illinois.
- Figueiredo, Marcus Vinicius. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings in this collection is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full name: Marcus Vinicus Cortes de Figueiredo
Birth: 1969 in Aracaju, Sergipe, Brazil
Parents: Huberto and Delma Figueiredo. Huberto passed away when Marcus was almost eighteen.
Siblings:Three brothers. One, Marcus’ twin died at the age of five,
Marital Status: Married to Andrea Rose Pradeo de Melo in 1995
Children: Two, Elisabeth and Asaph
Conversion: At the age of 20 in January 1990 through a World of Life camp ministry
Ordination: In the Igreja Presbiteriana
199? -1997 - Seminario Biblico Palavra da Vida, Atibaia, Brazil; graduated with a BA in Theology, with emphasis on Pastoral Ministry and Christian Education
2009-2012 - Wheaton College Graduate School, Intercultural Studies Department; graduated with an MA
1998-2005 - On the pastoral staff of Igreja Presbiteriana 12 de Agosto in Aracaju, Brazil, since 2003 as senior pastor
1999-2000 - The Figueiredos spent a year in the United States working at Camp Forest Springs in Westboro, Wisconsin
2003? - Joined Pioneers, a mission. Spent 15 days in Russia at the Pioneers office in Moscow, Russia
2005-2009 - After language study and orientation, became a teacher of English with Pioneers in a village outside of Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
2 Sound Recordings
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives by Marcus Figueiredo in January 2011.
Accession: 11-03, 11-07
October 8, 2020
- Brazil -- Religion.
- Cancer -- Patients -- Religious life
- Carnival -- Brazil
- Catholic Church -- Brazil.
- Children of missionaries -- Kyrgyzstan.
- Christian education -- Brazil.
- Christianity and culture -- Kyrgyzstan.
- Church camps.
- Church work with prostitutes
- Cold War -- Religious aspects -- Christianity
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Demoniac possession -- Brazil
- Evangelicalism -- Brazil.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Brazil.
- Igreja Universal do Reino de Deus.
- Jesus Christ -- Apparitions and miracles -- Brazil
- Kardec, Allan, 1804-1869.
- Krgyzstan -- Religion.
- Kyrgyz language.
- Lidório, Ronaldo
- Missionaries -- Brazil.
- Missionaries -- Korea.
- Missions to Muslims -- Kyrgyzstan.
- Muslims -- Kyrgyzstan.
- Pentecostalism -- Brazil.
- Pioneer Ministries.
- Presbyterians -- Brazil
- Seminario Biblico Palavra de Vida.
- Spiritualism -- Brazil.
- Theological seminaries -- Brazil.
- Wheaton College (Ill.). Graduate School
- Word of Life, Inc.
- Collection 662: Oral History Interviews with Marcus Figueiredo
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script