Collection 156 Records of the Company for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing a letterbook of the Society, chartered for the purpose of evangelism among New England Indians. Concerns the company's business affairs, education of Indians, Harvard College, and translation of religious texts. Primary correspondents are the company's governors, secretaries or clerks, and treasurers, writing to Commissioners in America, who in turn paid missionaries or dispersed funds as directed. Letters describe Company business concerned primarily with educating Native Americans, providing translated religious texts, and resettling American Indians. Microfilm is 35mm, positive copy.
- Created: 1688-1761
Conditions Governing Access
Permission to reproduce any document or any part of any document in this collection must be secured from the:
Curator of ManuscriptsUniversity of Virginia LibraryCharlottesville, Virginia 22901
The Society for Propagation of the Gospel in New England was chartered in 1649 for the purpose of converting the New England Indians. In 1661-1662 it was rechartered and named the "Company for Propagation of the Gospel in New England and the parts adjacent in America." The Company sponsored missionaries in America until the Revolutionary War at which time its missionary activities were turned to Canada. In 1961 it was still functioning under the name of the "New England Company."
The Company's function was that of a corporation. The revenues from its investments, chiefly in property, were sent to Commissioners in New England who in turn paid the missionaries or dispersed the funds as directed by the Company. The "Commissioners for Indian Affairs," as they were designated, were appointed by the members of the Company, and were usually Boston merchants or New England officials.
1 Reel of microfilm
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The microfilm in this collection was purchased by the Billy Graham Center Archives.
No Accession #
November 13, 1980
- Company for Propagation of the Gospel in New England and the Parts Adjacent in America.
- Evangelistic work -- New England.
- Evangelistic work.
- Indians of North America -- New England
- Indians of North America -- New England -- Missions.
- Indians of North America.
- Missions -- New England.
- Theologians -- United States
- Theologians -- United States -- History
- Theologians -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
- Theologians -- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Collection 156 Records of the Company for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US