Mid-Nineteenth Century Temperance Movement Series.
Scope and Contents
This microfilm collection contains minutes of ten local temperance societies in Michigan, speeches by seven persons active in temperance reform, miscelleanous printed materials, and issues of five temperance periodicals published in New York and Michigan between 1832-1862.
The Mid-Ninetheenth Century Temperance Movement materials are Series I of a twenty-one-series microfilming project done between 1975 and 1977 with the cooperation of three repositories holding significant papers relating to temperance and prohibition: the Michigan Historical Collections (Ann Arbor), the Ohio Historical Society (Columbus), and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Evanston, Illinois). The project resulted in 426 reels of microfilm, of which the Billy Graham Center Archives purchased 198. See also collections 64, 66, and 67, other series in the Papers.
The series is described in detail in the Guide to the Microfilm Edition of Temperance and Prohibition Papers (Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan, 1977), pages 37-45.
See Guide to the Microfilm Edition of Temperance and Prohibition Papers, page 239ff. This book is located in the Reading Room, topical shelf DD. Users should also read the "Note to Researchers," page xv, prior to actual research.
- Created: 1830-1875
2 Reels of microfilm
Language of Materials
The microfilm reels in this collection were purchased by the Billy Graham Center Archives.
No Accession number
October 9, 1980
- Alcoholism -- United States
- Alcoholism -- United States -- Sources.
- American Temperance Society.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Prohibition -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Prohibition -- United States.
- Temperance -- Societies, etc.
- Temperance -- Societies, etc. -- Michigan.
- Temperance -- Sources.
- Temperance -- United States -- 19th century.
- Temperance and religion -- Michigan.
- Mid-Nineteenth Century Temperance Movement Series (Collection 064)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Nineteenth Century Handwriting
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US