Collection 464 Oral History Interviews with Eileen J. Kuhn
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Eileen J. Kuhn in which she describes her family background; her conversion to Christianity; her medical training as a nurse; life at Moody Bible Institute in the late 1940s; China Inland Mission at about the same time; her call to foreign missions; her work at the CIM retirement home in Toronto; descriptions of John and Isobel Kuhn; work among the Lisu people in Thailand and Burma; translation of the Bible into the Lisu language; contacts with a former Kuomintang warlord in the so-called Golden Triangle; work as a teacher and administrator at the Singapore Bible College; memories of Lois and Mary Le Bar and other Wheaton professors; the church in Singapore; and retirement from the mission field. The time period covered by the interviews is 1925 to 1994.
Eileen J. Kuhn was interviewed by Robert Shuster on October 20 and December 10, 1992, and May 19, 1994 at the Overseas Missionary Fellowship Retirement Home in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Created: 1992-1994
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the oral history interviews in this collection is held by the Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full Name: Eileen J. (O'Rourke) Kuhn
Birth: March 21, 1925, in Glenside, Pennsylvania
Death: November 18, 2021, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Parents: Francis L. and Evelun (Nourse) O'Rourke
Siblings: 3 brothers - Donald, Roger, Kenneth
Marital Status: Married to John Kuhn, March 3, 1958
1943-1946: Sibley Memorial Hospital, Washington D.C. Became a registered nurse
1947-1949: Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois. Graduated with diploma in Missions
1949-1950: University of Pennsylvania Nursing School
1951: Attended a Summer Institute of Linguistics program
1970-1971: Wheaton College. Received a BA
1975-1976: Wheaton College. Received a MA
1949-1952: Joined Overseas Missionary Fellowship. Worked as a nurse at the OMF Retirement Home in Toronto, Canada
1952-1956: Worked among the Lisu people of Thailand
1956: Editorial work in Singapore
1957: Furlough in the United States
1958: Returned to Singapore, married John Kuhn
1958-1963: The Kuhns served in Burma and Laos, where John was Laos field superintendent
1964: The Kuhns in Hong Kong helped prepare the Bible in the Lisu language for publication
1965-1966: Furlough in the United States
1966: Returned to Singapore. After John's death on March 22, Eileen began teaching at Singapore Bible College
1966-1991: Taught Christian Education at Singapore Bible College, became dean
1981-1982: Furlough in the United States, returned to Singapore Bible College
1991: Returned to the United States, served as minister-at-large for OMF. Moved to the OMF Retirement Home in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Eileen J. Kuhn in 1992 and 1994.
Accession: 92-128, 92-157, 94-50
April 29, 2002
- Bible -- Publication and distribution.
- Bible -- Study and teaching.
- Bible -- Translating.
- Children -- United States
- Children -- United States -- Conversion to Christianity.
- Children -- United States -- Religious life.
- Christian education -- Singapore.
- Christian education -- Study and teaching.
- Christian education.
- Christian martyrs -- Thailand.
- Christian martyrs.
- Christianity and culture -- Thailand.
- Church and state -- Singapore.
- Church and state.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Evangelicalism -- Singapore.
- Evangelistic work -- Southeast Asia.
- Evangelistic work -- Thailand.
- Evangelistic work.
- Golden Triangle (Southeast Asia)
- Houghton, Frank, 1894-1972.
- Kuhn, Eileen, 1925-
- Kuhn, Isobel.
- Kuhn, John Becker.
- LeBar, Lois E. (Lois Emogene), 1907-1997.
- LeBar, Mary E. (Mary Evelyn), 1910-
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries -- Leaves and furloughs.
- Missionaries -- Retirement.
- Missions -- Burma.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Singapore.
- Moody Bible Institute -- Alumni.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Opium trade
- Opium trade -- Thailand.
- Overseas Missionary Fellowship.
- Singapore Bible College.
- Smith, Oswald J.
- Taylor, James Hudson, 1832-1905.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Zhongguo guo min dang.
- Collection 464 Oral History Interviews with Eileen J. Kuhn
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note