Collection 478 Oral History Interviews with Paul A. Buyse
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Paul Adrian Buyse (1926-2017), Africa Inland Mission worker in the Belgian Congo/Zaire. Topics covered include Buyse's childhood and youth as the son of AIM missionary parents in the Congo; education at Rethy Academy, Northwestern Schools, and Moody Bible Institute; work with North Arkansas Gospel Mission, spiritual hardships of being a missionary; his work in the Congo among pygmies; development of the Africa Inland Church in the Congo, transition from missionary to national authority; gender roles in the Congolese church; the Congo's independence, Belgium's colonial administration of the Congo; communications between AIM's US office and the fields; chaplaincy at AIM's Media Retirement Center. The time period covered by the interviews is 1926 to 1993.
Paul Buyse was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on January 18 and 19, 1993 at the Africa Inland Mission Media Retirement Center in Clermont, Florida.
- Created: 1993
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Information
Full Name: Paul Adrian Buyse
Birth Date: August 26, 1926, in Aba, the Belgian Congo, to workers of Africa Inland Mission Family:
Parents: Leonard J. and Daphne Angeline Buyse
Siblings: Helen Jean, John, Robert, Marian
Marital Status: Married September 1948
Conversion: January 1937 at the age of eleven at an AIM missionary conference
1932-1938 - Attended Rethy Academy in the Congo through the 6th grade
1938-1944 - Attended Westervelt Academy in South Carolina and public high school in Minnesota
1945 - Briefly attended Northwestern Bible School in Minneapolis, Minnesota
1945-1948 - Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois Career:
1948-1950 - Internship with North Arkansas Gospel Mission in Hasty, Arkansas
1950-1952 - Baptist pastorate in Garden City, Minnesota
1952-ca. 1955 - AIM mission station at Biasiko, work with pygmies
1955-1957 - Work in the Mwende Ruwenzori Mountains
1957-1959 - Furlough in the United States and Belgian (language study)
1959-1962 - AIM station at Blukwa, Congo
1962-1964 - Lalia, Congo, work among the pygmies
1964-1966 - Furlough in the United States
1966 - AIM station at Oicha, Zaire
1967-1989 - AIM station at Rethy, Zaire. Was involved in church planting and mobile eye clinics
1989-1992 - AIM United States headquarters at Pearl River, New York. Worked in finance department, coordinator for the AIM headquarters relocation committee
1992 - Moved to the AIM's Media Retirement Center in Florida, served as chaplain
Other significant information: Family was on furlough in the United States (1928-1929); family was at Blukwa (1929-1932); family was at Rethy (1932-1938). Ordained minister in the Conservative Baptist Denomination (ca. 1950).
4.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection was given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Paul Buyse in January 1993.
June 18, 2001
- Ababua (African people)
- Africa Inland Church.
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Becker, Carl K., Jr.
- Bible colleges
- Bible colleges -- Congo.
- Boarding schools -- Congo.
- Boarding schools.
- Buyse, John.
- Buyse, Leonard.
- Buyse, Mabel Easton, 1882-1967.
- Buyse, Paul A.
- Children -- United States
- Children -- United States -- Conversion to Christianity.
- Christian life.
- Church development, New -- Congo.
- Church development, New.
- Church growth
- Church growth -- Congo.
- Congo -- History -- Civil War, 1960-1965.
- Congo -- Religion.
- Congo, -- History,
- Congo, -- History, -- 1908-1960.
- Congo, -- Social life and customs.
- Epaineto, Balos.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Congo.
- Lay missionaries.
- Missionaries -- Leaves and furloughs.
- Missionaries' spouses.
- Missions -- Congo (Democratic Republic).
- Missions -- Finance.
- Missions, Medical -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Missions, Medical.
- Moody Bible Institute -- Alumni.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- North Arkansas Gospel Mission.
- Northwestern Bible and Missionary Training School (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Part-time missionaries.
- Riley, W. B. (William Bell), 1861-1947.
- Stauffacher, Florence P. Minch,
- Stough, Paul Pinney.
- Van Dusen, George C.
- Worship -- Congo.
- Youth -- Belgium
- Youth -- Belgium -- Administration.
- Youth -- Belgium -- Colonies
- Youth -- Belgium -- Colonies -- Africa.
- Zamzam (Ship)
- Collection 478 Oral History Interview with Paul A. Buyse
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note