Collection 486 Oral History Interview with Helen R. Jongewaard
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Helen Ruth Supplee Jongewaard (1922-2005) in which she describes her time as a student at Wheaton College. Among the topics discussed are aquaintance with Billy Graham; the Boethallian Literary Society; memories of professors such as Carl Henry, William Nordin; Russell Mixter, Merrill Tenney, V Raymond Edman, and others; revival of 1943 on Wheaton campus; and the effect of World War II on Wheaton. The time period covered by the inteview is 1920 to 1943.
Helen Ruth Supplee Jongewaard was interviewed by Robert Shuster on May 7, 1993 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1993
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Helen Ruth Supplee Jongewaard
Birth Date: May 10, 1922
Parents: George W and Ruth Lamberton Supplee, missionaries to India
Siblings: G. William, Jean, Robert
Marital Status: Married to Robert E Jongewaard by Billy Graham and V. Raymond Edman in 1943
Conversion: About nine years old
Denomination: American Baptist
1939-1943 BA, Wheaton College
Other significant information: A significant event in her life was hearing an address by Mrs. J. W.Guilding, a survivor of the sinking of the Zam Zam, an Egyptian cargo ship transporting missionaries across the Atlantic to Africa, when it was attacked by the German naval vessel Atlantis during World War II.
1.00 Audio Tape
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The material in this collection was given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Helen Jongewaard in May 1993.
July 21, 2000
Janyce H. Nasgowitz
- College students -- United States
- College students -- United States -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Edman, V. Raymond (Victor Raymond), 1900-1967.
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018.
- Graham, Ruth Bell.
- Henry, Carl F. H. (Carl Ferdinand Howard), 1913-2003.
- Jongewaard, Helen R.
- Jongewaard, Robert E.
- Mixter, Russell L.
- Nordin, H. William.
- Tenney, Merrill C.
- United Gospel Tabernacle (Wheaton, Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Religious life and customs.
- World War, 1939-1945.
- Collection 486 Oral History Interview with Helen R. Jongewaard
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note