Collection 040 Papers of Andrew Wyzenbeek
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Chicago manufacturer and inventor, Andrew Wyzenbeek, who was very active as a layman in evangelistic work. Among other topics he discusses his early life in Holland, New York City, and Iowa at the turn of the century; his travels in Central and South America; his acquaintance with Billy Sunday, Paul Rader, and Peter Deyneka; the beginnings of the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle; and the beginning of Paul Rader's radio ministry. The collection also contains a folder with a short handwritten autobiography. The time period covered by the interview and autobiography is 1900 to 1978.
Andrew Wyzenbeek was interviewed by Robert Shuster on May 16, 1978 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1978
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Andrew Wyzenbeek (1888-1984), a naturalized U.S. citizen who immigrated to the United States in 1907, was very active through most of his life in Christian evangelism and foreign missions. As a layman (he was a mechanical engineer, manufacturer, and inventor), he worked with such evangelists as Billy Sunday, Mel Trotter, Paul Rader, Peter Deyneka, Torrey Johnson, and Billy Graham. He also served on the advisory board of the Slavic Gospel Association, was active in the work of the Gideons, and was an important figure in two prominent Chicago churches: the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle and Moody Memorial Church.
0.25 Cubic Feet
1 Box (DC), Sound Recording
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Andrew Wyzenbeek on May 16, 1978.
May 18, 1978
- Chicago Gospel Tabernacle (Ill.)
- Cities and towns -- United States.
- Cities and towns.
- City missions -- United States.
- City missions.
- Edman, V. Raymond (Victor Raymond), 1900-1967.
- Evangelistic work -- Chicago.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Gideons International.
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018.
- Johnson, Torrey Maynard, 1909-
- Moody Memorial Church (Chicago, Ill.)
- Rader, Paul, 1879-1938.
- Radio in religion.
- Religious institutions.
- Semenchuk, Andrew.
- Slavic Gospel Association.
- Sunday, Billy, 1862-1935.
- Taylor, Herbert John,
- Wyzenbeek, Andrew.
- Youth -- Societies and clubs.
- Collection 040 Papers of Andrew Wyzenbeek
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note