Collection 270 Oral History Interview with Ray Schulenburg
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Roy Harvey Schulenberg (1909-2003) in which he discusses his conversion and involvement in Christian work, his memories of Paul Rader and the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle, the early days of Youth for Christ, evangelistic preaching, and city missions. Other topics discussed include: Rader’s radio ministry, Moody Memorial Church, evangelical figures who worked with or were influenced by Rader (Lance Latham, Richard Oliver, Howard Ferrin, Oswald Smith, Clarence Jones, Howard Jones, Torrey Johnson, Clarence Erickson), the Christian and Missionary Alliance, African American participation at the Tabernacle, the Depression's impact on ministry, and the use of music in evangelism. The time period covered by the interview is circa 1909-1984.
Roy Schulenburg was interviewed by Robert Shuster on March 29, 1984 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1984
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Ray Harvey Schulenburg was born in the Humboldt Park district of Chicago. He was converted to Christianity at an early age and, as a youth and young man, regularly attended the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle, where he was deeply influenced by pastor Paul Rader. Schulenburg eventually became a minister himself and was ordained in the Evangelical Free Church.
1.00 Audio Tape
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The material in this collection was given to the Billy Graham Center Archives in March 1984.
August 30, 1985
- African Americans -- Religious life.
- African Americans.
- Back Home Hour (Radio program)
- Bible -- Congresses.
- Chicago (Ill.)
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Religion.
- Chicago Gospel Mission (Ill.)
- Chicago Gospel Tabernacle (Ill.)
- Children -- United States
- Children -- United States -- Conversion to Christianity.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Christian education -- United States.
- Christian education, Outdoor -- United States.
- Christian education, Outdoor.
- Christian education.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Church and social problems.
- Church work with youth -- Chicago.
- Church work with youth -- United States.
- Church work with youth.
- City missions -- Chicago.
- City missions.
- Criswell, W. A.
- Depressions -- 1929
- Depressions -- 1929 -- United States.
- Erickson, Clarence H.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Chicago.
- Evangelistic work.
- Ferrin, Howard William.
- Gospel music.
- Gospel musicians -- United States.
- Gospel musicians.
- Hymn writers -- United States.
- Hymn writers.
- Ironside, H. A. (Henry Allan), 1876-1951.
- Johnson, Torrey Maynard, 1909-
- Jones, Clarence W.
- Jones, Howard O.
- Latham, Lance Breton,
- Mass media in religion -- United States.
- Mass media in religion.
- Missions -- Congresses -- United States.
- Missions -- Congresses.
- Moody Memorial Church (Chicago, Ill.)
- Music -- Religious aspects.
- Oliver, Richard Weber,
- Philpot, Ford.
- Race relations.
- Rader, Paul, 1879-1938.
- Radio in religion -- United States.
- Radio in religion.
- Shulenburg, Ray.
- Smith, Oswald J.
- Vacation schools, Christian.
- Collection 270 Oral History Interview with Ray Schulenburg
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note