Collection 284 Oral History Interview with Gladys Wright
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Gladys Lyle Wright (1902-1994), in which she discusses her work as a teacher in Belgian Congo (now Democratic Republic of Congo). Topics discussed include: Wright's family background, education at Wheaton College and Moody Bible Institute, her work as a missionary in the Belgian Congo for the Africa Inland Mission, memories of the Congolese people and culture, and her experiences at Wheaton when she was on the staff of the College after retriring from the mission field.The time period covered by the interview is 1902 to 1973.
Gladys Lyle Wright was interviewed by Wheaton undergraduate student Sheryl O'Bryan on November 7 and 28, 1984 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1984
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Gladys Lyle Wright was born July 19, 1902, the daughter of Raymond W. and Katherine Bughee Wright of Deep River, Connecticut. In 1920 she began attending Middlebury College in Vermont. Her father died while she was a freshman. In 1922 she transferred to Wheaton College. She graduated with an A.B. in English in 1924. She then attended Moody Bible Institute from September 1926 until July 1927. After attending Moody, she joined the Africa Inland Mission and was sent to Aba in the Belgian Congo in 1929. She lived there five years, during which she ran a school for young Christian girls. Poor health forced her return to the United States in 1934.
After recovering her health, she taught for a while in South Carolina and then returned to Wheaton in 1942 to run the College's Mimeograph Services and to teach piano in Conservatory. She retired in 1973, after twice receiving awards for outstanding service. After retirement, she continued to live in Wheaton. She died January 18, 1994.
3.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Gladys Wright in December, 1984.
Acc. 84-129, 84-141
February 16, 1990
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Armerding, Hudson T.
- Belgium. -- Administration.
- Belgium. -- Colonies
- Belgium. -- Colonies -- Africa.
- Bell, James W.
- Blanchard, Charles A. (Charles Albert)
- Boarding schools -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Boarding schools.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Catholic Church. -- Protestant churches.
- Children of missionaries -- Education.
- Children of missionaries.
- Christian education -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Christian education.
- Church and state -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Church and state.
- Church development, New.
- Church work with children -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Church work with children.
- College students -- Religious life.
- College students in missionary work.
- College students.
- Dow, Elsie Storrs.
- Edman, V. Raymond (Victor Raymond), 1900-1967.
- Education -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Evangelistic work -- Congo (Democratic Republic) -- Agricultural conditions.
- Evangelistic work -- Congo (Democratic Republic) -- History
- Evangelistic work -- Congo (Democratic Republic) -- History -- Civil War, 1960-1965.
- Evangelistic work -- Congo (Democratic Republic) -- Social life and customs.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fund raising.
- Indigenous church administration
- Language in missionary work.
- Medical care
- Medical care -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries -- Leaves and furloughs.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Congo (Democratic Republic).
- Missions -- Finance.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Missions, Medical.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Seminary extension.
- Stam, Harry.
- Tribes -- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Employees.
- Winsor, Alice.
- Winsor, Earl.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Wright, Gladys.
- Collection 284 Oral History Interview with Gladys Wright
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note