Collection 032 Records of Seminar on the Authority of the Bible
Scope and Contents
Copies of the papers read at the meeting held in Wenham, MA. Also contains a list of participants, a schedule of events, and copies of the text of the communique and resolutions adopted by the meeting.
Most of this collection consists of papers read at the meeting and responses read. The list of titles can be read in the container list, where they are arranged according to the order given. Also in this collection is a schedule of the seminar and copies of the resolutions and communique adopted at Wenham. The resolutions and communiques were copied by the Billy Graham Center Archives staff from the magazine Christianity Today.
- Created: 1966
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1966, a convening committee made up of three well-known evangelical leaders--Dr. Harold Ockenga, Frank E. Gaebelein, and Russell Hitt--issued invitations to other evangelical scholars to come to a meeting being held in Wenham, Massachusetts, to debate what was coming to be seen as differing views on the inerrance, inspiration, and authority of scripture. Fifty-five persons were listed as attending the seminar which lasted from June 20-29. Participants were from several nations and denominations. No tapes or stenographic records were made of sessions and observers were not admitted. The conference discussion showed that in addition to holding many common viewpoints, participants had differing interpretation of inerrancy. The seminar at its last session passed several resolutions which suggested some worthwhile tasks for evangelical scholars and academic institutions and issued a communique defining areas of agreement and questions which, "were found to require further study and consultation."
APPENDIX 1: SCHEDULE OF SPEAKERS
1. Monday, June 20: Liberal stereotypes of the evangelical view of Scripture. DR. KENNETH KANTZER. Respondents: DR. J. G. S. S. THOMSON and DR. EARLE E. ELLIS.
2. Tuesday, June 21: Developments in the past fifty years in archaeological studies which relate to the doctrines of revelation, inspiration and inerrancy, including a treatment of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Ugaritic discoveries, etc. DR. DONALD J. WISEMAN. Respondents: DR. WILLIAM SANFORD LASOR and DR. GLEASON L. ARCHER.
3. Wednesday, June 22: Relationship between Biblical authority and the results of scientific research. DR. GORDON H. CLARK. Respondents: DR. HAROLD KUHN and DR. ARTHUR HOLMES.
4. Thursday, June 23: The authority of the Old Testament in the light of Old Testament exegesis and the authority of the New Testament in the light of New Testament exegesis (with special reference to the question of inerrancy). DR. LEON MORRIS. Respondents: DR. BRUCE METZGER and DR. JOHN WALVOORD.
5. Friday, June 24: The relationship between hermeneutics and Biblical authority, June 24 with recognition of the tension between inductive (phenomena) and deductive principles. DR. JAMES I. PACKER. Respondents: DR. ROGER NICOLE and DR. FRANCIS I. ANDERSEN.
6. Saturday, June 25: The relevance of Warfield's approach to inspiration for contemporary evangelicalism with reference to the current statements of faith in evangelical institutions and their sufficiency to meet modern attacks on orthodoxy. DR. EDWARD J. YOUNG. Respondents: DR. JOHN H. GERSTNER and DR. DAVID ALLAN HUBBARD.
7. Monday, June 27: In the light of post-Reformation orthodoxy, Roman Catholic attempts to reconcile creedal affirmation on inerrancy with ongoing Biblical scholarship. DR. OSWALD HOFFMANN. Respondents: DR. JOHN WARWICK MONTGOMERY and DR. JOHN H. KROMMINGA.
8. Tuesday, June 28: An attempt at the theological definition of inerrancy, infallibility and authority. DR. HERMAN RIDDERBOS. Respondents: DR. J. OLIVER BUSWELL and DR. M. EUGENE OSTERHAVEN.
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The schedule of speakers and the copies of papers were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives in September of 1977 by Dr. Russell Hitt.
November 3, 1977
Retyped, May 15, 1989
- Anderson, Francis I., 1925-
- Archer, Gleason L., Jr., 1916-2004.
- Bible -- Congresses.
- Bible -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Bible -- Evidences, authority, etc.
- Bible -- Inspiration.
- Buswell, J. Oliver (James Oliver), 1895-1977.
- Clark, Gordon H. (Gordon Haddon), 1902-1985.
- Ellis, E. Earle (Edward Earle)
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Gaebelein, Frank E. (Frank Ely), 1899-1983.
- Gerstner, John H. (John Henry), 1914-1996.
- Hitt, Russell T., 1905-1992.
- Hoffman, Oswald C. J.
- Holmes, Arthur Frank, 1924-
- Hubbard, David Allan.
- Kantzer, Kenneth S.
- Kromminga, John H.,
- Kuhn, Harold Barnes,
- La Sor, William Sanford.
- Liberalism (Religion)
- Metzger, Bruce Manning.
- Montgomery, James W.
- Morris, Leon,
- Nicole, Roger R.
- Ockenga, Harold John, 1905-1985.
- Osterhaven, M. Eugene
- Packer, J. I.
- Ridderbos, Herman N.
- Theology -- Congresses.
- Theology -- Study and teaching -- Asia.
- Walvoord, John F.
- Wiseman, D. J.
- Collection 032 Records of Seminar on the Authority of the Bible
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US