Collection 543 Oral History Interviews with Larry Goldberg
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Larry Goldberg, in which he decribes his childhood and youth in a traditional Jewish family, conversion, spiritual growth, education, evangelism among Chicago Jews, joining Operation Mobilization, evangelism in Israel and attempts to expel him from the country, evangelistic outreach in Austria, inter-personal conflict, Jewish perceptions and reactions to evangelism, evangelism methods, charismatic issues, divisive missionary couple, the church in Israel, Jews for Jesus in Israel, conflict among Messianic congregations, his court case to gain Israeli citizenship, laws affecting evangelism, need in Israel for Christian psychologists and his training at Wheaton College, evangelism within his vocation. The time period covered by the interviews is ca. 1945 to 1997.
Larry Goldberg was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on February 21, April 11 and 25, 1997.
- Created: 1997
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Full Name: Lawrence Duane Goldberg
Birth Date: September 26, 1945, in Baltimore, Maryland
Parents: Frank and Edith Shipley Goldberg
Siblings: three older brothers, a twin sister, one younger brother
Marital Status: Married Eila Ellen in August 1966
Children: Hannah (1967), Esther (1970), Uriel (1973), Daniel (1975)
Conversion: 1964 through witness and influence of his brother
1963-1964 - Tusculum College
1964-1965 - Moody Bible Institute, General Bible
1968-1973 - Ben Gurion University of the Negev, BA in Behavioral Sciences
1995-1997 - Wheaton College Graduate School, Clinical Psychology
1965 - Co-leader of Operation Mobilization summer team in Austria
1965-1967 - Operation Mobilization team one-year project in Israel
1968-1970 - Operation Mobilization team in Israel
1970 - present Involved as a "tentmaking missionary" in evangelism and church ministry
1972-1978 - Dead Sea Periclase Ltd. as clerk, supervisor and personnel manager
1978 - present Bromine Compounds Ltd. in various personnel and human resources position
Other Significant Information:
Raised in a traditional Jewish family; 1968 Emigrated to Israel; 1974 Granted permanent residency by Israel.
6.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Larry Goldberg in February and April 1997.
Accession: 97-5, 97-24, 97-32
May 9, 1997
Paul A. Ericksen
- Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Christian life.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution -- Israel.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution.
- Christian literature.
- Church and state -- Israel.
- Church and state.
- Counseling -- Israel.
- Evangelicalism -- Israel.
- Evangelicalism -- Judaism.
- Evangelistic work -- Austria.
- Evangelistic work -- Israel.
- Evangelistic work -- Philosophy.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Goldberg, Eila.
- Goldberg, Larry D.
- Graham, Linda.
- Graham, Warren.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Israel.
- Interpersonal conflict.
- Israel -- Emigration and immigration.
- Israel -- Religion
- Israel -- Religion -- 20th century.
- Israel -- Social life and customs.
- Jewish Christians -- Israel.
- Jewish Christians.
- Jews -- United States.
- Jews for Jesus.
- Judaism -- Evangelicalism.
- Judaism -- Relations -- Evangelicalism
- Language in missionary work.
- Lay missionaries.
- Lentzch, Ray.
- Livingstone, Greg.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Israel.
- Missions to Jews.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Operation Mobilisation.
- Pentecostalism -- Israel.
- Protestant churches
- Protestant churches -- Israel.
- Virgin, Derek.
- Collection 543 Oral History Interviews with Larry Goldberg
- Paul Ericksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script