Collection 556 Oral History Interview with Lloyd C. Blue
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Lloyd C. Blue, in which he describes the turmoil in his early history, alcoholism, racial attitudes, military service, conversion, attending Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Los Angeles, E.V. Hill, working with Campus Crusade, impact of Bill Bright’s “Being Filled With the Holy Spirit” sermon, developing church-based program to disciple men, pastoral work, philosophy of evangelism/discipleship, discipling pastors, E.K. Bailey, Church Growth Unlimited to develop pastors, moving to Mendenhall, Mississippi, Matthew Parker and Lee June, pastoring in Ohio, his stepfather James Blue, change in his life after his conversion. The time period covered by the interviews is 1933-1998.
Dr. Lloyd C. Blue was interviewed by Paul Ericksen in the morning and afternoon of August 14, 1998, in Detroit, Michigan, during Summit ’98, a National Summit on Black Church Development that Blue and Ericksen were attending.
The three recordings were originally done on cassette tapes, transferred to reel-to-reel tapes for preservation, and then reconverted to cassette tapes from which the digital copies were made.
- Created: 1933-1998
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Lloyd C. Blue
Born: 1933 in Scotland County, NC
Family: Parents: Raymond McRay, Tiny Louise Gilcrease, James Blue (stepfather) Siblings: One brother, three stepsisters Marital status: Married in 1954 to Tressie V. Johnson Children: Lloyd II, Kay, Robbin
Conversion: In the Navy, 1953
Education: 1965-1969 California Baptist College ? Institutional Baptist Theological Center, Houston, TX, BTh ? Union University, Los Angeles, MA ? University of Central America, DMin
Career: Campus Crusade 15 years assisting pastors in training the laity to share their faith by using The Four Spiritual Laws Pastor of Israel Baptist Church in Hamilton, Ohio Trained and assisted pastors for 26 years of the 30 years Founder and president of Church Growth Unlimited, Mendenhall, Mississippi
3.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
- African American churches.
- African American clergy.
- African American evangelists.
- African American leadership.
- African Americans -- Families
- African Americans -- Religious life.
- African Americans -- Social conditions.
- African Americans.
- Bailey, E. K.
- Blue, Lloyd C.
- Bright, Bill.
- Campus Crusade for Christ.
- Christian leadership -- United States.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Church Growth Unlimited.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Church and social problems.
- Church work with African Americans.
- Church work with men
- Church work with men -- United States.
- Church work with youth -- United States.
- Church work with youth.
- Clergy -- Appointment, call, election.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Discrimination -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Philosophy.
- Evangelistic work -- Study and teaching.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Hill, E. V. (Edward Victor), 1933-
- Holy Spirit.
- June, Lee N.
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Mendenhall (Miss.)
- Mt. Zion Baptist Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
- Parker, Matthew,
- Racism -- United States.
- Segregation -- United States.
- United States -- Race relations.
- Collection 556 Oral History Interview with Lloyd C. Blue
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script