Collection 392 Oral History Interviews with Dorothy J. Mainhood
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Dorothy Jane Mainhood in which she describes her childhood, conversion, spiritual growth, education at Wheaton College, call to be a missionary, and work in Thailand for Overseas Missionary Fellowship. Other topics discussed include Mainhood’s medical training, language study in Thailand, Thai people and culture, regional differences in Thailand, the Buddhist and Muslim communities in Thailand, religious syncretism, church-state relations, characteristics of Christian churches in Thailand, home churches, evangelism, Thai attitudes towards converts, Christian discipleship, American misconceptions of Thailand, medical care in Thailand, interpersonal relationships in mission work, and the issues of being single while serving in foreign mission work. The time period covered by the interviews is 1931-1988.
Dorothy Jane Mainhood was interviewed by Paul A. Ericksen on May 12 and 13, 1988 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1988
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full name: Dorothy Jane Mainhood
Birth date: April 15, 1931 Birth place: Coleman, Michigan
Parents: William W. and Adda Rae Wheeler Mainhood
Marital Status: Single
Hurley Hospital School of Medicine, 1952
BS, Wheaton College (Nursing), 1956
MA, Hartford Seminary Foundation (Linguistics), 1968
MA, Wheaton College Graduate School (Missions/Intercultural), 1988
Missionary internship (church work): Detroit, MI, 1956-1957
Missionary nurse for Overseas Missionary Fellowship in Manorom, Central Thailand, 1957-1966
OMF language supervisor, Bangkok, Thailand, 1968-1987
Lopburi Learning Center, Lopburi, Thailand, 1988-
4.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Dorothy Mainhood in May 1988.
Accession 88-47, 88-53
May 16, 1995
Janyce H. Nasgowitz
- Bangkok, Thailand.
- Bible -- Study and teaching.
- Buddhists -- Thailand.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Thailand.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Christianity and culture -- Thailand.
- Christianity and culture.
- Church and state -- Thailand.
- Church and state.
- Church work with women -- Thailand.
- Church work with women.
- Edman, V. Raymond (Victor Raymond), 1900-1967.
- Evangelical Fellowship of Thailand.
- Hawthorne, Gerald F., 1925-
- House churches.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Thailand.
- Language in missionary work.
- Leprosy -- Thailand.
- Lundgren, Ruby Josephine.
- Mainhood, Dorothy.
- Medical care
- Medical care -- Thailand.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Thailand.
- Missions to Buddhists -- Thailand.
- Missions to Buddhists.
- Missions to Muslims -- Thailand.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Overseas Missionary Fellowship.
- Pioneer Girls.
- Sunday schools -- Thailand.
- Sunday schools.
- Syncretism (Religion).
- Thailand -- Religion.
- Tribes -- Thailand.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Collection 392 Oral History Interviews with Dorothy J. Mainhood
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US