Small Collection 086 Papers of Herbert and Minnie Flagg
Identifier: SCN 086
Scope and Contents
This collection contains two prayer letters from Herbert W. and Minnie E. Flagg, decsribing the Flaggs' work as missionaries with China Inland Mission, and political and social turmoil due to conflict between nationalist and communist forces and local robber bands, including G.M. Metcalf's being held as a hostage; Shanghai CIM compound caught in the crossfire in one instance; missionaries fleeing from the countryside; propaganda slogans; and attempts to continue work inland. Since many CIM "refugees" had evacuated their inland stations and were staying in Shanghai, the letters also include accounts of a staff celebration and Moody Bible Institute reunion there, as well as a complete list of CIM workers temporarily staying in Shanghai.
- Created: 1927
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Missionary with China Inland Mission; married Minnie E. Green; died 1973. Minnie E. Flagg: died, 1963.
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Overseas Missionary Fellowship in 1982.
- Brigands and robbers
- Brigands and robbers -- China.
- China Inland Mission.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- China.
- Evangelistic work
- Evangelistic work -- China
- Evangelistic work -- China -- History
- Evangelistic work -- China -- History -- 1912-1937.
- Evangelistic work -- China -- Politics and government.
- Evangelistic work -- China.
- Flagg, Herbert W.
- Flagg, Minnie E.
- Metcalf, G. M.
- Missionaries, Withdrawal of.
- Persecution -- China.
- Shanghai (China)
- Small Collection 086 Papers of Herbert and Minnie Flagg
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script