Collection 558 Oral History Interviews with Curtis Cole
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Curitis Cole. Topics covered include: Cole’s family background, the development of his Christian faith, his experiences as a missionary kid in Ivory Coast in the 1970s, descriptions of the Christian community in Ivory Coast and the Ivory Coast Academy; Ivorian worship services; his education at Michigan State University, his business career in Denver and his ministry as a youth pastor there, his and his wife's call to missions, his work in Ecuador as an broadcaster and director of English language programing for the HCJB Christian shortwave radio station, and the culture of the HCJB organization. The events described in the interview cover the time period 1967-1998.
Curtis Cole was interviewed by Bob Shuster on September 1998, at the offices of the BGC Archives.
- Created: 1998
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full name: Curtis “Curt” Lee Cole
Birth: 1960 in in Plainfield, Texas
Parents: Cecil and Joan Cole
Siblings: Catherine (died at birth), Chris
Marital Status: Married to Karen Slater, a daughter of missionaries
Children: Clarissa, Bryan, Brandon
Conversion: At the age of seven in a Baptist church in Syracuse, New York
May 1978: Graduated Ivory Coast Academy
1979-1980: Western Bible College
1982-1983: Michigan State University, graduated with a BA in Communications
1999: Wheaton College Graduate School, MA in Missions/Intercultural Studies
1983: Local radio station in Colorado
1983-1990: W.W. Granger (wholesale electrical supply company) and other companies, in charge of credit operations
Mid to late-1980s: Served as a volunteer youth pastor at a local church
Ca. 1991: Spanish language school in Texas
1992 - HCJB English language production; later director of English language production
4.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Curtis Cole in September 1998.
Accession: 98-66, 98-68
May 20, 2019
- Boarding schools -- Ivory Coast
- Children -- Conversion to Christianity.
- Children of missionaries.
- Church work with youth.
- Cole, Curtis
- Conservative Baptist Foreign Mission Society.
- Culture shock.
- Evangelicalism -- Ecuador
- Evangelistic work -- Ivory Coast
- HCJB (Radio station : Quito, Ecuador)
- Indigenous church administration -- Ivory Coast
- International Christian Academy (Ivory Coast)
- Kolbali, Mousa
- Mission -- Ivory Coast
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Africa.
- Missions -- Ecuador.
- Quito (Ecuador)
- Radio in missionary work -- Ecuador
- Radio in religion.
- Shortwave radio.
- Tithes -- Ivory Coast
- Women -- Religious life.
- Youth -- Religious life
- Youth -- Societies and clubs.
- Collection 558 Oral History Interviews with Curtis Cole
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note