Collection 196 Oral History Interview with Edna Louise Asher Case
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Edna Louise Asher Case (1905-1999), in which she discusses her aunt, Virginia Asher, who was a co-worker of Billy Sunday; she was also involved in many other evangelistic efforts. Other topics include: Case's student days at Wheaton College, and her involvement in city mission work; impressions of Mel Trotter, Billy Sunday, Helen Sunday. The time frame covered by the interview is 1905 to 1929.
Edna Case was interviewed by Robert Shuster on November 27, 1981 at the office of the Billy Graham Center Archives.
- Created: 1905-1929
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Niece of singer evangelists Virginia and William Asher; born Edna Louis Asher, November 13, 1905; graduate of Wheaton College, 1929; daughter of city & rescue mission workers.
Edna Louise Asher was born in Chicago on November 13, 1905, to Alexander and Dorothy Lucile Evans Asher. She was one of three daughters in the family. Her father's sister-in-law, Virginia Asher, was an evangelistic singer and speaker and through her, Edna was able to meet some of the leading evangelists of the day, such as Billy Sunday. Her parents were involved in city mission work, first in Chicago at the Pacific Garden Mission and then in Saint Louis, where the family moved in 1916. Edna's parents ran two different city missions there. In 1925, Edna enrolled in Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois, from which she graduated in 1929. She married Richard C. Case and they settled in Saint Louis. The Cases had one child, Carol Case McCarthy. Mrs. Case died in St. Louis on May 15, 1999.
1.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The material in this collection was given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Edna Case in November 1981.
Accession 81-139 March 7, 1984 Robert Shuster J. Nasgowitz
- Asher, Virginia Healey, 1869-1937.
- Asher, William.
- Biederwolf, William E. (William Edward), 1867-1939.
- Blanchard, Charles A. (Charles Albert)
- Buswell, J. Oliver (James Oliver), 1895-1977.
- Case, Edna.
- Church work with the poor
- Church work with the poor -- United States.
- City missions -- Chicago.
- City missions -- Saint Louis.
- City missions.
- Crime and criminals
- Crime and criminals -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Chicago.
- Evangelistic work -- Saint Louis.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Jacoby, Walter S.
- Monroe, Harry.
- Pacific Garden Mission (Chicago, Ill.)
- Rader, Paul, 1879-1938.
- Rodeheaver, Homer A. (Homer Alvan), 1880-1955.
- Saint Louis Gospel Center (Mo.)
- Sex role.
- Straw, Darien A.
- Sunday, Billy, 1862-1935.
- Sunday, Helen Amelia Thompson, 1868-1957.
- Torrey, R. A. (Reuben Archer), 1856-1928
- Trotter, Melvin E.
- Virginia Asher Business Women's Councils.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Religious life and customs.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Social life and customs.
- Women in church work.
- Collection 196 Oral History Interview with Edna Louise Asher Case
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script