Collection 144 Records of the Missionary Society of Connecticut
Scope and Contents
Microfilm edition of missionary correspondence, superintendents' correspondence, administrative records, and printed matter generated by the Missionary Society of Connecticut. Mission areas included those with a heavy concentration of New England settlers: Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, New Connecticut (Ohio). There was also an effort toward American Indians. All reels are 35mm.
- Created: 1759-1948
- Other: Majority of material found in 1793-1899
Conditions Governing Access
Copyright to this microfilm is held by the Microfilming Corporation of America. The papers are in the physical custody of the Connecticut Conference of the United Church of Christ; some printed matter originals are owned by the Connecticut Historical Society and the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Literary rights are held by many individuals; authors are expected to secure permission to quote from the proper source.
The Missionary Society of Connecitcut was a congregational mission agency established in 1798. It sent missionaryies to work among settlers in Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, and New Connecticut (Ohio) until 1830. In 1830 it evolved into a foundation to administer funds to be used by the newly established Missionary Society of Connecticut Auxiliary to the American Home Missionary Society, which sent missionaries to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Louisiana.
20.00 Reels of microfilm
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The microfilm in this collection was purchased by the Billy Graham Center Archives.
No Accession number
- Collection 144 Records of the Missionary Society of Connecticut
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US