Collection 058 Oral History Interview with Carol Carlson
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Carol Hammond Carlson (1985-1980) in which she describes her experiences on the Tibetan mission field. Subjects discussed include first entry into Tibet, reaction of the people to non-Tibetans, and the Islamic rebellion of 1929.
Carol Hammon was interviewed in her home by Ellen Balmer, a Wheaton College student, on November 11, 1978. There is a section of blank tape which resulted in the loss of the bulk of the interview material.
- Created: 1978
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Carol Hammond Carlson lived in Wheaton, Illinois, and attended Wheaton Academy. She later married a Wheaton College graduate, Mr. C. Edwin Carlson. The couple became affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance mission board.
Under the auspices of the C&MA, the Carlson's served twenty-seven years on the China-Tibet border. Other fields of service for the Carlson's include the school for missionaries' children in Quito, Equador; American Community Church in Saigon, Vietnam; and the Alliance Bible Seminary in Hong Kong. After Edwin's death in Hong Kong, Carol returned to Wheaton to live.
1.00 Audio Tape
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The material in this collection was given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Ellen Balmer and Carol Carlson in January 1979.
February 29, 1980
- Carlson, Carol Hammond.
- Carlson, Robert Dean.
- Children of missionaries -- Tibet (China)
- Children of missionaries.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Evangelistic work -- Tibet (China)
- Evangelistic work -- Tibet (China) -- Description and travel.
- Evangelistic work -- Tibet (China) -- Religion.
- Evangelistic work -- Tibet (China) -- Social conditions.
- Evangelistic work.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries' spouses.
- Missions -- Tibet.
- Missions to Muslims -- Tibet (China)
- Missions to Muslims.
- Muslims -- Tibet (China)
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Collection 058 Oral History Interview with Carol Carlson
- Ellen Balmer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note