Small Collection 097 Papers of Reuben Archer Torrey, Jr.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains pamphlets, correspondence, reports and articles created by Reuben Archer Torrey, Jr. documenting his internment by the Japanese in China, the great physical and spiritual needs of the people in South Korea following the war there, and the development of the rehabilitation program under Torrey's administration.
- Created: 1942-1966
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Missionary, son of evangelist R.A. Torrey Sr.; born, 1887; served in China and Korea as missionary with Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.; worked as church planter and evangelist in Tsinan before being imprisoned by the Japanese in December 1941; he was released a year later; served as Liaison Officer for Chiang Kai-Shek to the American forces in China, 1944-1945; oversaw the rebuilding of the mission stations affected by the war and distributed relief money from the Restoration Fund of the Presbyterian Church; directed The Korean Amputee Rehabilitation Project, 1952-1959; married Janet Mallany and had four children; died, 1980.
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Clare Torrey Johnson in 1982.
- Amputees. -- Rehabilitation.
- China. -- History
- China. -- History -- 1937-1945.
- Ecumenical movement.
- Evangelistic work
- Evangelistic work -- China.
- Evangelistic work -- Korea.
- Korea -- Economic conditions.
- Korea -- History
- Korea -- History -- 20th century.
- Korean War, 1950-1953
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Refugees.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Cooperative movement.
- Missions -- Korea.
- Missions, Medical
- Missions, Medical -- Korea.
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. -- Missions.
- Prisoners of war
- Prisoners of war -- China.
- Refugees -- Korea.
- Rehabilitation centers
- Rehabilitation centers -- Korea.
- Torrey, Reuben Archer,
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Vocational rehabilitation -- Korea.
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese
- Small Collection 097 Papers of Reuben Archer Torrey, Jr.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description