Collection 261 Records of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions
Scope and Contents
Microfilm edition of the files of the ABCFM. The originals are at Harvard University. The units that the Archives has are: #1, letters from the offices of the Board to foreign missionaries (including letters to missionaries working with American Indians); #2, letters from missions in Africa; #3, letters from missions in Asia; #4, letters from missions in Central Asia (India, etc.); #5, letters from missions in the Near East; and #6, letters from missions on the American continents and the islands of the Pacific Ocean.
- Created: 1827-1929
Biographical or Historical Information
First American foreign mission agency; established in 1810; Congregational in orientation while accepting missionaries of various denominational backgrounds; Bible translation, education, and medical care were consistently emphasized, with evangelism's priority diminishing over time; merged to form United Church [of Christ] Board for World Ministries, 1961.
Language of Materials
Other Descriptive Information
The BGC Archives purchased this microfilm collection. The original collection from which the microfilm was made is held by Research Publications.
See http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/guides/261.htm for more information.
- American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions -- Archives.
- American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.
- Indians of North America -- Missions.
- Indians of North America.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Africa, Sub-Saharan.
- Missions -- Africa.
- Missions -- Asia -- History.
- Missions -- Asia, Southeastern -- History.
- Missions -- Asia.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- India -- History.
- Missions -- India.
- Missions -- Indonesia.
- Missions -- Japan -- History.
- Missions -- Japan.
- Missions -- Singapore.
- Missions -- South Africa.
- Missions -- Southeast Asia.
- Missions -- Thailand.
- Missions -- Zimbabwe.
- Missions, American -- History.
- Collection 261 Records of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note