Ernest Cherrington Series.
Scope and Contents
Office files, executive committee files, and personal files kept by Ernes Cherrington, a leading prohibition advocate of the early twentieth century. Important in the Anti-saloon League of America, and in several anti-liquor publishing interests.
The Ernest Hurst Cherrington papers are Series XIII of a twenty-one-series microfilming project done between 1975 and 1977 with the cooperation of three repositories holding significant papers relating to temperance and prohibition: the Michigan Historical Collections (Ann Arbor), the Ohio Historical Society (Columbus), and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Evanston, Illinois). The project resulted in 426 Reels of Microfilm, of which the Billy Graham Center Archives purchased 198. See also collections 64, 65, and 67, other series in the Papers.
The papers for this collection and their provenance are described in detail in the Guide to the Microfilm Edition of Temperance and Prohibition Papers (Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan, 1977), pages 239-320. An index to selected correspondents begins on page 319.
See Guide to the Microfilm Edition of Temperance and Prohibition Papers, page 239ff. This book is located in the Reading Room, topical shelf DD. Users should also read the "Note to Researchers," page xv, prior to actual research.
- Created: 1900-1950
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
A biography of Cherrington, one of the leading prohibition organizers of the early twentieth century, is given in the Guide to the Microfilm Edition of Temperance and Prohibition Papers (Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan, 1977), pages 239 and following.
110 Reels of microfilm
Language of Materials
The materials for this collection were purchased by the Billy Graham Center Archives.
No Accession number
October 9, 1980
- Alcoholism -- United States
- Alcoholism -- United States -- Sources.
- Anti-saloon League of America.
- Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964.
- Luce, Henry Robinson, 1898-1967.
- Prohibition -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Prohibition -- United States.
- Sinclair, Upton, 1878-1968.
- Temperance -- Societies, etc.
- Temperance -- Societies, etc. -- Michigan.
- Temperance -- Sources.
- White, William Allen, 1868-1944.
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
- Ernest Cherrington Series (Collection 066)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Early Twentieth Century Handwriting
- Language of description note
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US