Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection was donated by Mark Allen Powell after the creation of his Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. The collection contains a wide variety of materials related to contemporary Christian music such as LPs, CDs and subject folders. Contemporary Christian music (CCM) is represented by performers and groups performing in a musical style that was influenced by urban folk revival, rock music, or mainstream popular music of the 1960s through the 1980s. Several gospel musical styles are represented: urban, northern U.S., white gospel style (typical of northern evangelical churches and parachurch ministries); rural, southern U.S., white gospel style; and black gospel style (typical of northern, urban, African American churches). The collection is predominantly focused on years 1995-2000 with some material stretching outside that range. The collection covers a wide variety of genres within contemporary Christian music. Some examples include industrial, ska, rap, folk and pop. The collection includes information on artists both well known and those that few have heard of.
The subject folders that Powell created were used to contain gathered material over the course of his research. Folders contain printouts of various websites as well as photocopies of magazines. These printouts detail the impact of each artist or group over the years. Various folders have additional color marketing material or newspaper clippings. Some folders also contain handwritten material by Powell that he created over the course of his research.
The series for this collection are based upon material type.
The contents of the Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) Collection may be searched in the library catalog as keyword: SC/219
- Created: 1948-2015
- Other: Majority of material found in 1975-1995
- Other: Date acquired: 08/14/2012
- Powell, Mark Allan. (Person)
Biographical or Historical Information
This collection was created during the process of Mark Allan Powell's writing of the Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. (Hendrickson 2002)
105 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The manuscript material in the collection is arranged by box or folder level control.
The categories for recordings in SC 219 were determined by performing medium or subject matter, not by musical style. Thus, SC 219-B contains recordings of vocal or instrumental groups, performing in any of the above Contemporary Christian or gospel musical styles. The one exception is SC 219-E, which contains recordings of vocal soloists or groups performing in black gospel style. Buswell Library catalogers have attempted to distinguish the various CCM or gospel musical styles in the bibliographic descriptions of the individual recordings; however, clear distinctions were not always possible, since there is often considerable overlap among the various musical styles.
SC 219-A contains recordings of vocal or instrumental soloists or duos. SC 219-B contains recordings of vocal or instrumental groups with three or more members, and that have a distinctive group name. SC 219-C contains recordings of CCM or gospel musicals and cantatas, i.e., multi-movement works on a single idea or theme, for use in a worship service or concert, and which could be staged. SC 219-D contains recordings of CCM or gospel music intended for children, either for personal listening, or for use in Sunday school or church school environments. SC 219-E contains recordings of vocal soloists or groups performing in black gospel style. SC 219-F contains compilations of various CCM songs, gospel songs, or hymns with instrumental accompaniment that are intended as “singalong” recordings, or as an adjunct for group singing. Some of these recordings have separate vocal and instrumental stereo tracks.
Source of Acquisition
Mark Allan Powell
Method of Acquisition
- Alternative metal (Music)
- Alternative rock music.
- Blues (Music)
- Christian rap (Music)
- Christian rock music.
- Christianity and art.
- Christianity and culture.
- Compact discs
- Contemporary Christian music -- history and criticism
- Contemporary Christian music -- writings and publishing
- Contemporary Christian music.
- Contemporary Christian musicians
- Electronic music
- Emo (Music)
- Folk music
- Folk music -- United States.
- Funk (Music)
- Hardcore (Music)
- Heavy metal (Music)
- Industrial music.
- Long-playing records
- Music -- Religious aspects.
- Performing arts
- Performing arts -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Popular music
- Punk rock music
- Rock music.
- Ska (Music)
- Sound recordings
- Swing (Music)
- Thrash metal (Music)
- Works of Art
- Powell, Mark Allan. (Person)
- Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) Collection
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
- Container: CDs CD0001-CD2322 (Text)
- Container: Encyclopedia of Christian Contemporary Music (CCM) / Mark Alan Powell (Box 62) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0001-A0048 (Box 50) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0049-A0093 (Box 51) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0094-A0139 (Box 52) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0140-A0188 (Box 53) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0189-A0234 (Box 54) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0235-A0287 (Box 55) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0282-A0331 (Box 56) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0332-A0376 (Box 57) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0377-A0425 (Box 58) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0426-A0471 (Box 59) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0472-A0520 (Box 60) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0521-A0565 (Box 61) (Text)
- Container: LPs A0566-A0591 (Box 62) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0001-B0047 (Box 63) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0048-B0095 (Box 64) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0096-B0139 (Box 65) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0140-B0189 (Box 66) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0190-B0239 (Box 67) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0240-B0285 (Box 68) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0286-B0330 (Box 69) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0331-B0379 (Box 70) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0380-B0424 (Box 71) (Text)
- Container: LPs B0425-B0462 (Box 72) (Text)
- Container: LPs C0001-C0028 (Box 73) (Text)
- Container: LPs D0001-D0034 (Box 74) (Text)
- Container: LPs E0001-E0036 (Box 75) (Text)
- Container: LPs E0037-E0065 (Box 76) (Text)
- Container: LPs F0001-F0028 (Box 77) (Text)
- Container: LPs F0029-F0058 (Box 78) (Text)
- Container: LPs F0059-F0098 (Box 79) (Text)
Part of the Buswell Library Special Collections Repository
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593 USA