Everett Mitchell Papers
Scope and Contents
The Everett Mitchell Collection contains a variety of material relating to this early radio pioneer and agricultural broadcaster. The collection spans the years from 1910 to 1985 with the bulk of the material falling into the years 1940 to 1960. Mitchell was a well established broadcaster by the 1940s, thus the collection focuses on his "mature" years.
The collection contains subject files on a variety of topics, photographs, and non print media including audio and video cassettes and two record albums.
The subject files are not so much a collection of personal papers as a collection of materials relating to the career of Everett Mitchell. They are arranged alphabetically by topics and span the period 1925 to 1985. The material tends to reflect Mitchell's public life, as personal correspondence was not included in the collection. Among the files are published items about Everett Mitchell and his career (newspaper and magazine articles, pamphlets and booklets), transcripts of broadcasts and addresses, business and congratulatory correspondence, and travel material. The latter includes pamphlets, itineraries, reports, and correspondence.
Over 1000 photographs document Mitchell's life from 1910-1983, with the largest number falling in the era from 1935-1960. These range from formal portraits, to candid shots, publicity photos for Allis Chalmers, photos of Mitchell on his Wheaton farm, snapshots from his foreign travels and pictures of people with whom Mitchell worked.
The cassette tapes include a series of oral interviews with Mitchell taken from 1977-1983 as sources for his biography, Radio's Beautiful Day. They contain Mitchell's reminiscences from his boyhood, to his early days in radio, and the Russian Harvest Tour of 1958. Also included are recordings of two addresses and a 1949 broadcast. Other non print media are two radio broadcasts recorded in album form and two video cassettes relating to Mitchell.
- Created: 1910-1985
- Other: Majority of material found in 1940-1960
- Mitchell, Everett. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
13 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Donated to the Special Collections of Wheaton College by his wife, Clara Christiansen Mitchell. Additional gifts were made by Richard Crabb, Mitchell's biographer.
Other Descriptive Information
Material pertaining to Everett Mitchell, Chicago radio pioneer and agricultural broadcaster on both radio and television.
- Evangelistic work -- Music.
- Financial Records
- Gospel musicians -- United States.
- Mitchell, Everett, 1898- -- Manuscripts.
- National farm and home hour (Radio Program)
- Oral histories
- Radio broadcasters
- Radio broadcasters -- United States -- Biography.
- Radio broadcasting -- Excerpts.
- Radio broadcasting -- United States.
- Radio in agriculture -- United States -- History.
- Radio in agriculture -- United States.
- Radio in religion -- United States.
- Sunday Evangelistic Campaign (1918 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Sunday, Billy, 1862-1935.
- Television in agriculture
- Television in agriculture -- United States.
- WENR (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)
- Mitchell, Everett. (Person)
- Everett Mitchell Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collection Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Buswell Library Special Collections Repository
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593 USA