Calvin Miller Papers
Scope and Contents
The manuscripts and papers of popular writer and pastor Calvin Miller are arranged into five series. The material arrived in several accessions beginning in 1990. The largest series is book manuscripts, with other categories of articles, correspondence, artwork, and biographical. Miller periodically adds items to the collection and it can be assumed that the papers have not reached their final arrangement. The largest portion of the Calvin Miller Collection is composed of manuscripts, both of books and articles. The book manuscripts are arranged very roughly in alphabetical order by title, though efficiency of storage was given preference over strict alphabetization. Manuscripts for Burning Bushes & Moon Walks, Mr. Four-Foot Thirteen, One Upon a Tree and The Unsinkable Rock are not presently a part of the collection. The manuscripts of articles were left in the order as received from Miller. Correspondence was also left in the order given it by Miller. Letters are arranged first by year, then alphabetically by the last name of the correspondent. Only the years 1984-1989 are included in the collection. Several pieces of Miller's artwork are housed with the collection, both originals and prints. These include his annual Christmas cards, watercolors, and mixed media works. The biographical series is presently a catch-all category for items not fitting elsewhere. Later arrangement may include more precise series for much of this material.
- Created: 1967-2004
- Other: Majority of material found in 1975-1989
- Other: Date acquired: 1986
- Miller, Calvin. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
13 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Miller was approached with regard to placing his papers in the Special Collections while he was on campus as speaker in 1986.
Other Descriptive Information
The Calvin Miller Collection at the Wheaton College Special Collections includes manuscripts, correspondence, artwork, and published materials of this popular writer and Baptist pastor.
- Advent -- Prayer-books and devotions
- Baptists -- Clergy -- United States -- Biography.
- Baptists -- Sermons.
- Bible -- Use.
- Bible stories, English -- N.T. Gospels.
- Bible stories, English -- N.T. Revelation -- Juvenile literature.
- Bible. N.T. Gospels -- Devotional literature.
- Bible. N.T. Philippians -- Commentaries.
- Bible. O.T. Genesis.
- Celts -- Prayers and devotions.
- Children's poetry, American
- Children’s stories.
- Christian biography.
- Christian fiction.
- Christian life -- Baptist authors.
- Christianity -- Celtic influences.
- Christmas -- Meditations.
- Christmas -- Prayer-books and devotions
- Church management -- Fiction.
- Clergy -- Biography.
- Clergy -- United States -- Biography.
- Clergy -- United States -- Interviews.
- Communication -- Religious aspects
- Creation -- Juvenile poetry.
- Dependency (Psychology) -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Discipline -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Eden -- Fiction.
- Fruit of the Spirit -- Study and teaching.
- Generation Y -- Religious life.
- God -- Fatherhood -- Christianity.
- God -- Motherhood -- Christianity.
- Heaven -- Christianity -- Quotations, maxims, etc.
- Jesus Christ -- Appearances -- Juvenile literature.
- Jesus Christ -- Crucifixion.
- Jesus Christ -- Devotional literature.
- Jesus Christ -- In literature.
- Jesus Christ -- Literary collections.
- Jesus Christ -- Nativity.
- Jesus Christ -- Person and offices.
- Jesus Christ -- Resurrection -- Juvenile literature.
- Joy -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- King of Prussia (Pa.) -- Fiction.
- Lay preaching.
- Leadership -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Legal Documents
- Magi -- Fiction.
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Miller, Calvin -- Manuscripts.
- Miller, Calvin -- Preaching.
- Miller, Calvin -- Symbolism.
- Missions -- Theory.
- Mothers and sons -- Fiction.
- Noah’s ark -- Juvenile literature.
- Pastoral theology -- Anecdotes.
- Pastoral theology.
- Peace of mind -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Postmodernism -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Preaching -- Methodology.
- Preaching -- United States -- 20th century.
- Public speaking -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Seattle (Wash.) -- Fiction.
- Self-control -- Biblical teaching.
- Selfishness -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Service (Theology) -- Biblical teaching.
- Sick children -- Fiction.
- Snoqualmie (Wash.) -- Fiction.
- Southern Baptist Convention -- Membership.
- Spiritual formation.
- Theology, Practical.
- Thomas, Apostle, Saint, 1st cent. -- Juvenile literature.
- Vocation -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Widows -- Fiction.
- Wolves -- Fiction.
- Works of Art
- Zacchaeus (Biblical character) -- Juvenile literature.
- Miller, Calvin. (Person)
- Calvin Miller Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Buswell Library Special Collections Repository
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593 USA