Margaret and Kenneth P. Landon Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers of Kenneth P. and Margaret Landon present unique views into the life and culture of Southeast Asia. Margaret, best known for her work Anna and the King of Siam, and Kenneth, a Presbyterian missionary and later Southeast Asia specialist with the U.S. State Department, were both graduates of Wheaton College. Both exhibit distinct qualities that offer the researcher many opportunities.
The collection is organized into 12 series (Biography/Correspondence, Siam Missionary Correspondence, Publications, and Research, Government Service, Academic Activities, Literary Works, Photographs/Slides, Maps/Atlases, Audio, Secondary).
Includes secondary materials and correspondence of other missionaries to Thailand: Edna Cole, Rev. and Mrs. Stephen Matoon, Mary Frances Davenport and Dr. Dan Beach Bradley, as well as significant primary and secondary materials about King Mongkut of Siam and royal governess, Anna Leonowens, the subjects of Margaret Landon's novel, Anna and the King of Siam (1944) which provided the basis for Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical, The King and I. Audio recordings in the collection include 94 CDs of oral history interviews with Kenneth and Margaret Landon.
- Created: 1824-2017
- Other: Majority of material found in 1927-1990
- Other: Date acquired: 1990
- Landon, Margaret. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Major portions of Margaret's correspondence and a small portion of Kenneth's correspondence from 1927-1990 are restricted until 2010. Additional restricted material pertains to legal matters involving a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox. These legal files will open in 2010.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items. Materials may not be loaned out to family members or the general public.
198 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The collection was received through personal donation in 1990.
Other Descriptive Information
The papers of Kenneth and Margaret Landon, graduates of Wheaton College, present unique views into the life and culture of Southeast Asia. Margaret was best known for her work Anna and the King of Siam, and Kenneth served as a Presbyterian missionary and later Southeast Asia specialist with the U.S. State Department. Includes secondary materials and correspondence of other missionaries to Thailand: Edna Cole, Rev. and Mrs. Stephen Matoon, Mary Frances Davenport and Dr. Dan Beach Bradley, as well as significant primary and secondary materials about King Mongkut of Siam and royal governess, Anna Leonowens, the subjects of Margaret Landon
- American University (Washington, D.C.) -- Faculty.
- Bradley, Dan Beach, 1804-1873 -- Correspondence.
- Bradley, Dan Beach, 1804-1873.
- Chinese -- Thailand.
- Cole, Edna Sarah -- Correspondence.
- Cole, Edna Sarah.
- Davenport, Mary Frances Greenhow Roper, 1819-1896
- Davenport, Mary Frances Greenhow Roper, 1819-1896 -- Correspondence.
- Foreign Service Institute (U.S.)
- Hammerstein, Oscar, II, 1895-1960.
- King and I (Motion picture)
- Kingsmill, Hugh, 1889-1949
- Landon, Kenneth Perry, 1903- -- Archives.
- Landon, Margaret, 1903-1993 -- Archives.
- Legal Documents
- Leonowens, Anna Harriette, 1834-1914
- Matoon, Stephen
- Matoon, Stephen -- Correspondence.
- Missionaries -- Thailand.
- Missions -- China -- 1900-1944.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Soviet Union.
- Missions -- Theory.
- Mongkut, King of Siam, 1804-1868
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) -- Clergy.
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. -- Missions.
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979. King and I
- Southeast Asia -- Politics and government -- 1945-
- Southeast Asia Development Advisory Group
- Thailand -- Courts and courtiers.
- Thailand -- Religion.
- Thailand -- Social life and customs.
- Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
- United States. Dept. of State.
- United States. Office of Strategic Services
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Landon, Margaret. (Person)
- Landon, Kenneth, 1903- (Person)
- Margaret and Kenneth P. Landon Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Buswell Library Special Collections Repository
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593 USA