Leiton E. Chinn oral history interviews
Three interview sessions with Chinn (on four recordings) on May 16, 17, and 18, 2023. Language: English. T1. May 16, 2023. Digital recording, 45 minutes, 0.227 GB, WAV format, recorded at Chinn’s residence in Indian Land, SC. Topics covered include Chinn’s early life, parents, their divorce, independent life in Honolulu, education, spiritual influences and conversion, church experiences, attending California Baptist College, parents’ deaths, enlisting in the Army’s Security Agency, being stationed as an analyst in South Korea, Navigators program in discipleship, completing undergraduate education at the University of Georgia, hints of his international student ministry in this experience. T2, T3. Digital recording in two parts: 59 minutes, 0.295 GB, and 107 minutes, 0.538 GB, both WAV format, recorded at Chinn’s residence in Indian Land, SC. Topics covered include completing his undergraduate education at the University of Georgia, attending Columbia Graduate School of the Bible and Missions, Fuller Theological Seminary, working with Ralph Winter at the US Center for World Mission, Ralph Winter, involvement in convening the 1980 Edinburgh World Consultation on Frontier Missions and absence of continuation, call to ministry, working for International Students, Inc., later with Interaction with David Pollock, ACMI (Association of Christians Ministering Among Internationals), IMF with Hal Guffey, dysfunction in ISI leading to many departures, church-based Truro International Programs and Services, key figures and influences, key pivot points, serving in NAFSA (National Association for Foreign Student Affairs), his entrepreneurial spirit, SIMA collaborating individualist assessment, meeting Lisa Espineli at the first ACMI conference and marriage, launching the Anglican International Student Ministries Network. Portion of T3 (00:52:57 to 01:06:12) closed to access until December 31, 2043. T4. May 18, 2023. Digital recording, 45 minutes, 0.226 GB, format, recorded at Chinn’s residence in Indian Land, SC. Topics covered include brief recollections of Harold Ockenga at Park Street Church in Boston, ISI’s seconding workers, character and influence of Robertson McQuilkin at Columbia Graduate School of Bible and Missions, ISI’s early contribution to growing international student ministry in the US and globally, early history of international student ministry and John R. Mott’s role, ACMI as emerging influence in international student ministry, community and collaboration in ACMI, Lausanne Movement’s involvement in and emphasis on international student ministry, assessment of American church’s embracing international student ministry, international student ministry in the Anglican Church in North America, future of international student ministry, his and Lisa’s complementary gifts that bring balance to their ministry, her speaking opportunities, shared and separate projects, fundraising for their ministry, Lisa’s character and what he admires about her, her role in raising the children, what their marriage added to international student ministry, their children and raising a family while in ministry, lack of strains ministry put on marriage, children’s role in and benefits from international student ministry.
Donated to the Evangelism and Missions Archives by Leiton Chinn.
Portion of T3 (00:52:57 to 01:06:12) closed to access until December 31, 2043.
- Chinn, Leiton E. (Person)
256 Minutes (Spread across four recordings.)
1.29 Gigabytes (Spread across four recordings.)
- Anglican Church in North America.
- Anglican International Student Ministries Network.
- Association of Christians Ministering Among Internationals.
- California Baptist College.
- Chinn, Lisa Espineli
- Christian life.
- Church work with foreign students.
- Church work with students -- United States.
- College students in missionary work.
- Columbia International University.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Discipling (Christianity)
- Edinburgh World Consultation on Frontier Missions (1980)
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Fuller Theological Seminary.
- Guffey, Hal.
- Honolulu (Hawaii)
- Interaction, Inc.
- International Ministries.
- International Students, Inc.
- Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization.
- McQuilkin, J. Robertson, 1927-
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries -- Training of -- United States.
- Missions -- Study and teaching.
- Missions -- Theory.
- Mott, John R. (John Raleigh), 1865-1955.
- National Association for Foreign Student Affairs.
- Navigators (Religious organization)
- Ockenga, Harold John, 1905-1985.
- Organizational change -- United States.
- Truro Anglican Church (Fairfax, Va.)
- U.S. Center for World Mission
- United States. War Department. Military Intelligence Service.
- Women in church work -- United States.
- Women in missionary work -- United States.