Collection 417 Papers of Dick Springer
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview and one prayer letter relating to the ministry of Charles Oliver “Dick” Springer, missionary with Overseas Missionary Fellowship in China and Japan from 1937-1996.
Series: Audio Tapes
Oral history interview with Dick Springer in which he describes his family and their missionary interest and involvement, conversion, education (at Whitman College, Princeton Theological Seminary, and Moody Bible Institute), his involvement in the Student Volunteer Movement, missionary work in China and Taiwan with China Inland Mission/Overseas Missionary Fellowship and the Pocket Testament League, impressions of Samuel Zwemer and Charles Erdman, Herbert and Winnifred Kane, Henry Frost and his wife Marion, the Japanese occupation of China during World War II, the Chinese civil war, literature production in Taiwan, and evangelistic work in the US. The time period covered by the interview is 1909 to 1989.
Charles Oliver Springer was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on June 19, 1989 at Calvary Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Series: Paper Records (Box List)
This collection also includes a prayer/newsletter for circulation from the Springers, first-term China Inland Mission (CIM) missionaries, while stationed at Hwaining (new spelling, Huaining) in the province of Anhwei (new spelling, Anhui) for language school. The letter gives a brief account of their arrival in Shanghai and preparation to move inland, their travel to Huaining via the Yangtze Kiang (new spelling, Chang Jiang), and an average daily schedule. While devotional in nature, the letter expresses the Springers' feelings about assuming new responsibilities as missionaries.
- Created: 1937-1989
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Charles Oliver Springer
Birth Date: January 30, 1909 in Montpelier, VT
Parents: Isaac Elihu Springer and Mildred (Bishop) Springer Barber
Conversion: During teen years, ca. 1922-1927
Marital Status: Married Marion Elizabeth Tucker on August 1, 1935
Children: Mary Olive Harriet (1937); Charles Henry Thomas (1940); John (1942)--died and buried in Taiho, Anhwei, China; Harriet Johanna (1945); Joseph Tucker (1949); Ruth Ernestine (1951)
Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA: B.A.(?), history, 1931(?)
Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, NJ: B.Th., 1935
Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, IL
1936 Ordained by Walla Walla Presbytery Synod of Washington
Accepted into China Inland Mission
Language school in Anking
1937 Fowyang, Anhwei: first assignment
1939-1940 Kanhsien, Kiangsi and then Fowyang, Anhwei
1941-1944 Taiho, Anhwei
1945 Los Angeles
1947 Shanghai, Kaifeng, Honan, worked with Pocket Testament League
1948-1950 Loping, Kiangsi
1951-1957 San Francisco and Seattle (pastor of Mt. View Presbyterian Church)
1958-1960 Taiwan: Hsinying and T'ainan, worked in literature distribution
1962-1964 Taiwan: Hsinchu, created correspondence course while his wife taught Bible
1965 San Francisco
1966-1969 Taiwan: Shinju, worked with mountain people
1971-1975 Taiwan: T'aipei, taught English at a church while his wife walked to the nearby university to teach
Died: February 17, 1995
0.20 Cubic Feet
1 Box (DC)
5 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives in April 1982 by Overseas Missionary Fellowship and in June 1989 by Charles Oliver Springer.
Accession 82-60, 89-63
June 9, 1995
- Animism -- China.
- Children of missionaries.
- China -- History -- 1937-1945.
- China -- History -- 1949-
- China -- History -- Civil War, 1945-1949.
- China -- History.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution -- China.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution.
- Christian literature.
- Communism -- China.
- Correspondence schools and courses
- Correspondence schools and courses -- Taiwain.
- Evangelistic work -- China -- Description and travel.
- Evangelistic work -- China.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- Frost, Henry Weston, 1858-
- Glover, Robert Hall, 1871-1947.
- Interpersonal conflict.
- Kane, J. Herbert.
- Kane, Winnifred Mary Shepherd, 1912-
- Language in missionary work.
- Methodist Church -- Missions.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries' spouses.
- Missionaries, Withdrawal of.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Taiwan.
- Missions, Medical.
- Moody Bible Institute -- Alumni.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Overseas Missionary Fellowship.
- Persecution -- China.
- Pocket Testament League.
- Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Springer, Charles Oliver.
- Springer, Marion.
- Stam, Elisabeth Alden Scott, 1906-1934.
- Stam, John Cornelius, 1907-1934.
- Student Volunteer Movement for Foreign Missions.
- Tribes -- Taiwan.
- World War, 1939-1945.
- Zwemer, Samuel Marinus,
- Collection 417 Papers of Dick Springer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note