Collection 090 Papers of George F. Spotts
Scope and Contents
An oral history interview, correspondence, reports and clippings relating to George Spotts’ work as a Youth for Christ staff member in France and the United States involved in evangelistic work among teenagers.
- Created: 1960-1979
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Franklin Spotts was born February 7, 1944, in Pontiac, Michigan. He attended high school in Port Huron, Michigan, graduating in May 1961. He later attended Port Huron Junior College, the University of Michigan, and Wheaton College. He was raised in a family which put great emphasis on education as his father was Director of Extension for the University of Michigan.
During his high school years Spotts became involved with Youth for Christ, which nurtured his interest and participation in the organization in the years that followed. From 1964 to 1965 he traveled to France as a one man Teen Team working with American youth overseas. Upon his return to the States, he finished his degree at Wheaton in 1967, worked as a probation officer in Michigan, and married before returning to France as a permanent full time Youth for Christ staffer in 1969.
The Spotts' worked in France helping establish YFC organizations among the French young people, setting up national leadership, and developing a camp/convention center. After four years the couple returned to the States where Mr. Spotts served as the Director of the YFC organization in St. Clair County, Michigan.
0.25 Cubic Feet
1 Box (DC), Audio Tape, Phonograph Record
Language of Materials
One oral history interview, correspondence, reports, clippings and phonograph record relating to Spotts' work as a Youth for Christ staff member in France and the U.S. Subjects covered in the interview include YFC projects, the response of the French youth to evangelism, analysis of YFC work in France, cultural differences between the U.S. and France, associates Jacques Blocher, Jean Jacques Weiler, French economics and social conditions, religion, culture, etc., and other missions and evangelism-related topics. The time period covered by the interview is 1960 to 1979. George F. Spotts was interviewed by Mary Ann Buffington on October 4, 1979 at Wheaton College, IL.
Along with an interview, Spotts gave the Center various materials regarding his YFC ministry in France and Michigan. This manuscript material contains newspaper clippings regarding Spotts' appointment and ministry and activities of YFC. Correspondence and reports also give information on assorted YFC projects and goals. Folder 1-2 contains materials in French used in France's club ministry. Materials include schedules, reports, correspondence with members, and prayer letters.
The collection also contains a phonograph record of now...forever, a recording of Franklin Spotts and Les Reflets performing Negro spirituals in French.
Accruals and Additions
The materials for this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives in October 1979 from Franklin Spotts.
January 30, 1980
Mary Ann Buffington
June 18, 1993, revised
M. L. Larson
- Belief and doubt.
- Blocher, Jacques A.
- Catholic Church -- Evangelicalism.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- France.
- Christian education -- France.
- Christian education -- Philosophy.
- Christian education of teenagers -- France.
- Christian education of teenagers.
- Christian education.
- Christianity and culture.
- Church work with youth -- France.
- Church work with youth -- Michigan.
- Church work with youth -- United States.
- Church work with youth.
- Culture shock.
- Economic and social conditions
- Economic and social conditions -- France.
- Evangelicalism -- France.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- France.
- Evangelistic work -- Michigan.
- Evangelistic work -- Philosophy.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work.
- France -- Religion.
- France -- Social conditions.
- Gifts, Spiritual.
- Intercultural communication -- France.
- Intercultural communication.
- Language in missionary work.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- France.
- Missions -- Theory.
- Spirituals (Songs)
- Spotts, Franklin.
- Voluntarism -- France.
- Voluntarism -- Religious aspects.
- Weiler, Jean Jacques.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Youth -- France
- Youth -- France -- Conversion to Christianity.
- Youth -- United States
- Youth -- United States -- Religious life.
- Youth for Christ, France.
- Youth for Christ/USA.
- Collection 090 Papers of George F. Spotts
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note