Collection 533 Oral History Interview with Catherine E. Jeter
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Catherine Elizabeth Jeter in which she discusses her childhood; conversion to Christianity through a neighborhood Bible club; education; marriage to Joseph Jeter; the start of their ministry (Have Christ Will Travel Ministries); work with inner-city children of Philadelphia and summer camp ministry in Nova Scotia, Canada; and the 1961 Billy Graham crusade in Philadelphia. Other topics discussed include: Jeter’s education at Philadelphia College of the Bible; Short Term Missions, Inc.; summer camp ministry in Canada; the spiritual climate of Nova Scotia. The time period covered by the interview is 1931 to 1996.
Catherine Elizabeth Jeter was interviewed by Robert Shuster on June 7, 1996 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1996
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings in this collection is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full Name: Catherine Elizabeth Jeter (named after both her grandmothers)
Birth: July 20, 1931
Family: Parents - Moses Goram and Eulla Williams
Siblings: Sylvia, Moses Jr., Lois, Gilbert & Quintin (all younger that Catherine)
Marital Status: Married Joseph Jeter, July 8, 1952
Children: Six children: Diane Marie (oldest), Paul, Priscilla, Rhonda, Joseph
Conversion: At about 11 years old
ca 1940s - Germantown High School
19?? - Practical Nursing School (graduates)
ca. 1964-1968 - Philadelphia College of the Bible (graduates)
19?? - Works six years at Sears and Roebucks, Co.
ca 1973 - Works with Have Christ Will Travel Ministries
2 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Catherine E. Jeter in June 1996.
Wayne D. Weber
June 12, 2002
- African American clergy.
- African Americans -- Missions.
- African Americans -- Religious life.
- African Americans -- Social conditions.
- African Americans.
- American Sunday-School Union.
- Children -- Religious life.
- Christian education -- Canada.
- Christian education of children.
- Christian education, Outdoor.
- Christian education.
- Christian life.
- Church work with children.
- Evangelistic work -- Canada.
- Evangelistic work -- Nova Scotia.
- Have Christ Will Travel Ministries (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Inner cities.
- Jeter, Catherine E.
- Jeter, Joseph C.
- Lay missionaries.
- Missions -- Study and teaching.
- Outdoor recreation for children.
- Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Philadelphia College of the Bible.
- Short Terms Missionaries, Inc.
- Vacation schools, Christian.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Youth -- Religious life.
- Collection 533 Oral History Interview with Catherine E. Jeter
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script
Part of the Evangelism & Missions Archives Repository
501 College Avenue
Wheaton IL 60187 US