Collection 531 Oral History Interview with Mary M. Cagney
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Mary Majella Cagney in which she describes her childhood, family, spiritual development, conversion and Christian life, Irish Catholicism, education, interaction between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland, Irish Evangelicalism, charismatics, Evangelical agencies working in the country, women's role in church, Leanne Payne's Pastoral Care Ministries conferences, Wheaton College Graduate School, strengths and weaknesses of the Evangelical church in Ireland, reconciliation attempts, her work for Kingdom Come Trust and publication of BREAD, journalism, political turmoil as it relates to ministry, impressions of American churches, application for a Fulbright scholarship to attend Wheaton. The time period covered by the interviews is 1960 to 1996.
Mary M. Cagney was interviewed by Paul A. Ericksen on May 1, June 19, and June 28, 1996 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1996
Conditions Governing Access
A portion of Tape 1 and all of Tape 4 are restricted until November 28, 2051.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings in this collection is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full Name: Mary Majella Cagney
Birth: June 20, 1960, Limerick, Ireland
Parents: William and Theresa (O'Dwyer) Cagney
Siblings: Six younger sisters: Dolores, Breed, Nuila, Trace, Rosaire, Sheila
Conversion: March 1980
1979-1983 - University College, Dublin, B.S. Mathematics and Physics
1983-1984 - Kevin St. College of Technology, honors degree in Physics
1995-1997 - Wheaton College, M.A.
1990-1994 - Bread, Media/Editorial Board
1990-1992 - Living Waters, Counseling
1991-1992 - Living Waters, Coordinator
Other Significant Information:
Involved in serious automobile accident in 1981 and in hospital for nine months. Authored many articles for various publications, e.g. Bread, Christianity Today, World Pulse.
1989 - Pastoral Care Ministries, Counseling
4 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Mary M. Cagney in May and June 1996.
Accession: 96-32, 96-54, 96-58
October 12, 2001
Wayne D. Weber
- Bread (Periodical)
- Cagney, Mary.
- Campus Crusade for Christ.
- Catholic Church
- Catholic Church -- Evangelicalism.
- Catholic Church -- Ireland.
- Catholic Church -- Protestant churches.
- Celtic Church.
- Celtic Church. -- Ireland.
- Charismatic movement
- Charismatic movement -- Ireland.
- Christian drama.
- Christian life.
- Church and state -- Ireland.
- Church and state -- United States.
- Church and state.
- Civilization, Celtic.
- Evangelicalism -- Ireland.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Family -- Ireland.
- Ireland -- Politics and government
- Ireland -- Politics and government -- 1949-
- Journalism, Religious -- United States.
- Journalism, Religious -- Ireland.
- Journalism, Religious.
- Kingdom Come Trust (Ireland)
- Missions -- Ireland.
- Pastoral Care Ministries.
- Payne, Leanne
- Reconciliation -- Christianity.
- Sex role
- Sex role -- Ireland.
- Students, Foreign
- Students, Foreign -- Religious life.
- Students, Foreign -- United States.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Women -- Religious life.
- Worship -- Ireland.
- Collection 531 Oral History Interview with Mary M. Cagney
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script